Cardinal troubles looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glow light tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got some cardinal tetras, to replace some guppies who had passed away recently, only to discover that they are dying off one by one. I am 95% sure that I have failed to accurate them properly. I left them in the bag for 15 minutes before i opened it and from there added 1/2 cup of water evry 10 minutes untill full, drained half and contuined until it was full a second time. I need to know how to save the remaining cardinals, what I have done wrong, and how to prevent this in the future.

Water prematers

Nitrates 0
Amonia 0
Temp 78 degrees

So I got some cardinal tetras, to replace some guppies who had passed away recently, only to discover that they are dying off one by one. I am 95% sure that I have failed to accurate them properly. I left them in the bag for 15 minutes before i opened it and from there added 1/2 cup of water evry 10 minutes untill full, drained half and contuined until it was full a second time. I need to know how to save the remaining cardinals, what I have done wrong, and how to prevent this in the future.

Water prematers

Nitrates 0
Amonia 0
Temp 78 degrees

It sounds like you acclimated them just fine, what are your nitrite levels?

They like a matured and stable tank and filter. Many of them are wild caught, and they can have sever trauma from being caught in unknown and often toxic ways, shipped and shipped and sometimes shipped again. Wild fish are not used to eating fish store food either. Suffer from parasites sometimes, internal and external. Sometimes have been dipped in unknown fish meds and remedies...its amazing they make it at all! lol

I am not an expert by any means...not trying to imply that, but I have them and love them, one of my favorites.

They like lower pH 7.2 or a little lower if I might remember correctly.

If you can find a quality store which gets in tank bred fish you should be ahead of the game.

Or a store which gets them in by the 300+ and wait a week or two and then purchase, after you see which ones actually make it.

Don't ever accept a sickly one and always quarantine!

I would try some live food types and see if that helps, also there are micro cultures you can grow your own wriggly creatures. I haven't needed to do that yet.

They can get Ich pretty easily too!!!!!!!!! Always add new conditioned water which is ever so slightly warmer than the tank water. Oh also they like warm water! Hope that helps.

Here are some of mine!
60074-albums9317-picture53762.jpg

Just had my water tested at the LFS, and found out that she had a parasite going around her cardinals. I'll start medicating tonight and see how it goes, thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom