catfish laying on its side..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not very uncommon for the ph to lower after its been out of the tap for a while. I would let it set out for a while before your next water change, and see what happens there. Keep us updated.

Bettababe1011 said:
It's not very uncommon for the ph to lower after its been out of the tap for a while. I would let it set out for a while before your next water change, and see what happens there. Keep us updated.

That's funny because the Guy at the lfs told my father in law that our city water is high in Ph and that if we left it sit out for a day or two that it would drop...

What bettababe is saying is right. Water out of the tap is often charged with miscellaneous gases and chemicals. When the water sits for a while these have a chance to escape and that changes the pH.

But it is absolutely more important to maintain a stable pH than to try to make it perfect. You can avoid the big changes in pH from tap-to-tank by letting the water age a day or two before adding it to the aquarium. That is the way I prefer to do it. It helps to avoid any issues that can arise from fresh tap water if you have these kinds of problems.

Letting the water sit for a day or two before the water change is not really possible for me (as i have limited room and a 1yr old that gets in to everything) Can i use Ph down or Ph Proper to lower it before I put the water in the tank? I am not sure what the Ph levels are when they come out of the tap because i do not have a high range test kit, but i tested it with the normal Ph test kit and it registered the highest that the test kit goes.

Those ph perfecters are what my dad was obsessed with, and also what killed his aquariums.

Do you have any high places to set the water, or closed containers? I know what you mean, my three year old nephew is always very curious about the fish, and asks me what the containers sitting next to it are. (My water containers, because I live where we have well water, and we decided to use the city water. So we have to take five gallon jugs to get water.)

Those ph perfecters are what my dad was obsessed with, and also what killed his aquariums.

Do you have any high places to set the water, or closed containers? I know what you mean, my three year old nephew is always very curious about the fish, and asks me what the containers sitting next to it are. (My water containers, because I live where we have well water, and we decided to use the city water. So we have to take five gallon jugs to get water.)

Not really.. I don't know what to do about it... lol

My Fish hobby was much easier when i thought the only thing i had to do was put fish in water and feed them every now and then! Now that I am learning more and more it just makes for more to worry about! lol

You can use those if you have to, but IME it's not a good idea. They are only a temporary fix in most cases anyway. Even if you use those in the water before you add it, the other things would still be in there. You might end up making it worse. If your water really is that high you may need to find some way to age it before you add it.

Yeah. I know what you mean! When I first got into the fish hobby, I thought it'd be easy. Now I've been worrying about everything!

I'm not sure what to say now.

You can use those if you have to, but IME it's not a good idea. They are only a temporary fix in most cases anyway. Even if you use those in the water before you add it, the other things would still be in there. You might end up making it worse. If your water really is that high you may need to find some way to age it before you add it.

Thanks for all of the help, I apologize for being ignorant but the tank has been up for 8 months or so and I didn't even know about the Nitrogen Cycle until about a month ago..

Thanks for all of the help, I apologize for being ignorant but the tank has been up for 8 months or so and I didn't even know about the Nitrogen Cycle until about a month ago..

You're welcome. We like to help folks here.

As for being sorry, you're fine. At least you know and care enough to come ask someone else for help with your aquarium when you don't know the answers. Not everyone can say that.

I tried to do all myself when I first started and had to learn everything the hard way. Bettababe you're right about that. It definitely wasn't as easy as I first thought it was going to be.

HA! Thanks! Also I don't know if you saw my other question because i double posted but how overpopulated do you think I am? Is it maintainable? Again my ill advised self vs. the ill advised LFS employee came up with this list to stock my tank... The more I learn about fish the more i can't believe how little those LFS employee's know... :(

Here is what I have in my 10G:

2 - Red Minor Serpae Tetra
2 - Cardinal Tetras
2 - Neon Tetras
1 - Peppered Cory
1 - Grey Cory
1 - Black Mollie
1 - Dalmation Mollie
1 - Unknown Mollie
3 - Glofish
1 - Snail

(Plants grew from bulbs from Wal-Mart)
1 - Hardy Aponogeton Plant
1 - Lily Plant

I used a spreadsheet I have that I have found to very good for this. When I entered the numbers for what you have in that tank, it appears that you have about twice the number of fish you should. Using an older system used by a noted aquarist (Dr. Innes) said that you were ok, but just barely. But I believe that you are overcrowded. It is just the type that takes a little time to manifest before you see problems begin.

In any case, if you are using a normal HOB filter, your biofilter is probably being stressed. If you have no other tank to place them in you may need to add another filter. A bigger tank would be better.

You also have too few neons, cardinals, glofish and serpaes. Each of those fish do better in groups of 5 at the very least, 6 is better. Corys prefer to have more of their own kind about. At least 3 or 4. It is also too small for your mollies.

I used a spreadsheet I have that I have found to very good for this. When I entered the numbers for what you have in that tank, it appears that you have about twice the number of fish you should. Using an older system used by a noted aquarist (Dr. Innes) said that you were ok, but just barely. But I believe that you are overcrowded. It is just the type that takes a little time to manifest before you see problems begin.

In any case, if you are using a normal HOB filter, your biofilter is probably being stressed. If you have no other tank to place them in you may need to add another filter. A bigger tank would be better.

You also have too few neons, cardinals, glofish and serpaes. Each of those fish do better in groups of 5 at the very least, 6 is better. Corys prefer to have more of their own kind about. At least 3 or 4. It is also too small for your mollies.

The Neons and cardinals school together in the tank.. Does this mean i would only need to get one more of each and it would be ok? or do i need 5 - 6 of each specie?

The Neons and cardinals school together in the tank.. Does this mean i would only need to get one more of each and it would be ok? or do i need 5 - 6 of each specie?

They prefer larger groups of their own kind, but in your situation I wouldn't get any more fish for that tank. You have enough in there already. I believe that you will be OK for now, just keep it in mind if you plan to get a larger or even another tank. It is interesting to see that the cardinals and neons stick together. I thought that they might.

They prefer larger groups of their own kind, but in your situation I wouldn't get any more fish for that tank. You have enough in there already. I believe that you will be OK for now, just keep it in mind if you plan to get a larger or even another tank. It is interesting to see that the cardinals and neons stick together. I thought that they might.

Oh yeah I wasn't planning on getting anymore in this tank! lol I am thinking about getting a 29G to replace my 10G. But my wife would shoot me if I spent more money on my aquarium habit right now.. lol. I do have a spare 5 Gal in the basement. Would that be useful at all?

I'm sorry about your fishy..I do so hate losing a cory :(

Your tank is actually hideously overstocked and would have been the first think I mentioned right away. I don't know how your water parameters could ever be decent with that much fish in that tank. The mollies alone without a single other fish in there overstocks that tank. I'll list how IMO these fish should be stocked:

Serpae tetra - min. school of 6 - min. tank size 20 gal
Peppered/grey cory - min. school size of 4 - min. tank size 20 long - 30
Mollies - min. tank size for three 29 gals
Glo-fish/danios - min. school size of 6 - min tank size 20long - 30
neon/cardinals - min. school size of 7 - min. tank size 10 gal
*Personally I don't like the neons and cardinals in a 10 gal but I don't think it's wrong to keep them there if in a proper school size and not overcrowded with other fish.

The other fish need rehomed or upgraded to a larger tank. With an appropriate stock in the tank, you'll be surprised how easy it is to keep your water perfect. All it should take is a 30% partial water change once a week :)

Actually, if you watch craigslist you can often find real deadla on tanks, often whole set ups. Look there, and you might come in low enough to make your wife more accepting. Also might find something even better than a 29

Back
Top Bottom