Catfish with new growth on eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjd0718

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently did a water change and have since lost 2 out of the 3 fish in my tank. My remaining fish is showing growth on both eyes. Please advise!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_131521.jpg
    IMG_20200324_131521.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 59
How long has the tank been cycled? What are the water parameters?

Parameters

The water parameters are good, we had done a half tank water change the next day one out of the three fish we had had already passed overnight. Did another quarter water change woke up to another dead fish the next day. Have not touched the water since but the last fish seems like he has growth now covering both of his eyes other than the growth the last fish is acting fine.

Actual numbers

Temp - 75°
PH - 7.2
GH - 5
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm

What you think is good? We need to know the numbers and the size of the tank. Use a liquid tester.

Even judging by how clean the substrate is in the picture screams a new tank or an overly clean tank. In order for us to help you we need you to help us.

You're going to lose that Cory too or he will be blind his remaining life. We want to help educate you on how to prevent future issues with fish keeping, please work with us.

Posted the numbers above, substrate was recently changed as well. Tank is a small 5 gallon tank I've had for a year, with the same fish for most of that year. More or less looking for causes of such symptoms.

Its hard to pinpoint the exact reason but with such a small tank it could be stress and water conditions. Cory's should be kept in groups of six with no smaller of a 20gal tank.

Sure you water conditions are fine right now but with such a small tank parameters can change almost instantly and cause large ammonia spikes which burn and stress your fish.

Also you said you recently changed the substrate, that wouldve caused a micro crash in the tank by removing a huge amount beneficial bacteria. Having a spotless aquarium actually hurts more than most people think.

That would be my biggest guess on the issues is a combination of tank size causing water issues, changing the established substrate causing water issues, fish being stress from water conditions and tank size, fishes immune system failing due to all the above.

Best recommendation. By a 10gal tank if you only want 3 corys and a few mid swimming fish (such as tetras) or a 20gal and 6 corys plus a few other fish to help them be happy. Cory's are group fish, they love being together. Then just properly cycle the tank, then 30% water changes weekly.

Back
Top Bottom