Cause of dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone please explain to me how fish get dropsy? I have yet another fish with it I believe, and I am starting to get frustrated. :(
Thanks.

Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease. It is caused by too much water getting in to the body compared to how much is getting out. Since their are more salts inside the body water will try to dilute in to it (osmosis). This can be caused by any type of infection with the kidneys (bacterial, fungal, viral, etc.) that will prevent them from functioning normally or by a large open wound. If there is no large open would it is obviously not that. Raising the salinity in the water can reduce the osmotic pressure for water to get in and stay in the body, but the main infection still needs to be treated.

Reactions: HN1
Thanks for the info! He did have a little spot on his head (dwarf gourami) and a whitehead looking thing by his dorsal fin, but I have no idea what they are or where they came from. :( There are no new fish, and the only thing that's changed is we moved, and the pH is lower.
Also, I don't think I can put salt in the tank because of the black loaches and snail.

Loaches and snails would both be fine with lower levels of salt, but to treat dropsy with salt takes a lot, so the fish would need to go to a different tank.

That sounds like hole in the head, which gouramis can get. Try Metro+ medication by Aquarium Solutions or any med that contains metronidazole. If it is a pathogenic form of HITH this should clear it right up.

I am not able to use Melafix or Pimafix? I am only asking because I already have those. I like to use them because they are all natural and won't kill my biologial filter.
I didn't know gourami's got HITH. :( He is one of my favorite little guys too....
He has been hanging around the back corner for over a week now, but since I got back from my trip he is more bloated than before. I do my 50% pwc once a week, and my readings are 0, 0 and 5-10. I use the API liquid test. Do you think it's too late to start treating? Also, he has stringy white poo....

Stringy white poop usually means internal parasites, which the metronidazole will also treat.

I would start the Melafix now and get the Metro+ as soon as possible.

Keep up the water quality with lots of water changes any time you have problems. Low water quality when they are sick would be like having smog in a hospital room.

What your describing is bloat down to the t...lethargic, recluse and white stringy pooh. At this stage I would recommend to qt the fish and start with Clout and run though two treatments. Also Jungles Parasite clear works and doesn't harm the biofilter like Clout.

Bloat is contagious if not treated and will kill fish if untreated.

I am not understanding how he got internal parasites though. I have had him for over a year and there has been nothing new added. I figured the poo was because of the stress of not feeling well.
Thank you so much for helping me too. :)

Bloat is usually the same as dropsy, a symptom and not a one pathogen=one disease type situation (like with ich).

Fish always have pathogens around, and something like internal parasites can live within them for years but not show any signs. It is when the fish are stressed that the parasites are not kept under control by the immune system and this is when they develop to problematic levels.

Ahhhh, ok. So he was probably stressed from the move then. :( Ok, I will treat the tank with the Melafix ASAP and see what happens. I also have Ich Attack, which says treats ich, fungus, protozoans and dineflagellates, is safe for inverts and 100% organic. Do you think I should try that?

I was just looking through my "fish emergency kit," and I found some Mardel Maracyn Plus, for mouth fingus, popeye, dropsy and ulcers. I think I am going to try it out, and see how it goes.

Well, I think I have good news. Since I medicated with the Maracyn Plus yesterday, my d. gourami's scales have gone down. Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Back
Top Bottom