Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Celebes Rainbowfish dying

Hello,

I bought 6 Celebes Rainbowfish not too long ago from my normal dealer. He rarely has die-off when ordering and keeping fish and has been doing so for 46 years at his current location. Everything I know about keeping fish, I learned from him.

I purchased 6 Celebes Rainbowfish from him recently, and they seem to be dying, one at a time, once per day. It started with the larger male, then the bloated female, then the smaller male, and now one of the smaller females. I have 2 small females left. In each case, all of the fish who died were not showing any signs of imminent death. They were all eating heartily, swimming and schooling like they should, all had bright coloration, and all had full fins with no decay present. My tanks parameters are perfect, 6.8 pH, Ammonia and Nitrites at 0, Nitrates at ~0, and a temperature of 72 f. The other fish, 1 German Blue Ram, male, 2 Lying Fox, and 1 Reticulated Hillstream Loach, are all doing very well and showing no signs of illness. This is baffling me. I just don't understand why these fish are dying, with one exception. The bloated female. When she passed, I inspected her belly, which looked "fuzzy" on the outside, and it looked like something ripped on the inside. In every other case, nothing like that has happened.

EDIT: I was able to observe how they die just now. One of my females swam to the surface and stayed there, about a millimeter from the waters surface, breathing fairly heavily. She stayed like this until she passed.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hi there, sorry missed this. It does seem strange. Did the fish go straight in or QT first?

One I can think of is internal bacterial infection but it seems they are eating and swimming well beforehand. The other is something in the water specs that they just don't like. Do you test for kh / gh at all or is your tank water very similar to the lfs?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey, sorry for the late update. The remaining rainbows passed on the same day I posted this. They did go straight into the main tank, I do not have space for a quarantine and have actually never used on in my 10 years of fish keeping. I do not test KH.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Odd one, sorry for the loss. That's all I can think of I'm afraid, that there was something in the water conditions or maybe they just couldn't cope. Had you kept them before?

Tags
dyi, dying, fish, fish dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com