changing Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im upgrading to a 55 soon (I hope)

While the in between process is going Im going to put my fish in a holding tank or use their tank as a holding, not sure how this will play out.
Either way my fish have always done an intermittent flashing from time to time. Its always one at a time and as one stop the next starts then it stops all together for a while until one fish starts again.

I decided perhaps prior to moving them to the new tank I might use some serious meds (like a coppertine) to nuke any parasites and such that might be on them and follow them to the new tank.

Here are my issues

I wasnt thinking of fully cycling the new tank and using water and my existing filter to get the cycle going. How can I possibly do that since the heavy meds basically hurt your benficial bacteria to?

I was originally going to run my new canister filter in the existing tank for a bit to get it boosted but then dont want to pull in any flukes or ich free floating in there.

In the tank now I have 2 snail I can move elsewhere. My plants I plan on bleach dipping to get rid of the algea so the ones that make it should be parasite free from repeated dips (I hope).

My driftwood I plan on maybe boiling to kill anything on it. I have a large turkey fryer that should work.

I am using all new decor and substrate.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks

I'm not a pro, but I'm sure ich cant live for more than two weeks without a host, so you could run the filter in the new tank for a few weeks to cycle the tank and give the ich time to die. As for other flukes I don't know much about them. I've only had ich in my tanks.

Just my thoughts, that's awesome you are upgrading to such a large tank :D

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

If you run with no life for 30 days MOST fw issues would be gone.
You still need to feed bacteria(with ammonia).
You mention one flashes and then another, do any ever die?
Kordon ich plus will not kill your bacteria so no harm in running a possibly heavy treatment on the tank with no fish in it(and treating the fish also).
If you could learn about potassium permanganate then you disinfect with more confidence IMO,but it is in no way even an intermediate knowledge level product.

If you run with no life for 30 days MOST fw issues would be gone.
You still need to feed bacteria(with ammonia).
You mention one flashes and then another, do any ever die?
Kordon ich plus will not kill your bacteria so no harm in running a possibly heavy treatment on the tank with no fish in it(and treating the fish also).
If you could learn about potassium permanganate then you disinfect with more confidence IMO,but it is in no way even an intermediate knowledge level product.

None have died

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish itch!
I would want more symptoms before treatment(without deaths) or need a complete understanding of treatment I was using,

honestly ive never REALLY treated as I cant deduce what is every wrong. Im pretty positive its some sort of gill fluke or something tho.
Never seen anything on any fish but they flash a bit. Lately a couple at once have started but I did a water test and my nitrates were a bit high. Just did a 40-50% WC yesterday tho so maybe that will help.

Also did a SERIOUS gravel vac. I tend to not vac the gravel since I have a lot of plants but I needed to suck out some of my MTS and I decided to go nuts a bit and really give it a clean. About 10-15 gallons of REALLY dirty gravel water.

Lost my Gourami in the process :(

I do use aquarium salt and keep my water REALLY clean. I was using melfix when I thouth it was ich. I have Kens medicated food which I use. I keep some of it mixed with my regular food but this week Im going to strictly feed them that.

I was thinking of doing a low does of the copper in an empty tank (no decor or substrate, just fish) to see if I can see anything.

Just so you know melafix doesn't treat ich but can help heal any ruptures in skin caused by parasite leaving the host. So a good one for stopping secondary infections.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish itch!
I would want more symptoms before treatment(without deaths) or need a complete understanding of treatment I was using,

i agree with this. i notice some fish flashing every once in a while, but with no obvious symptoms, i just chalk it up as an itch. now, if youre noticing several doing so, perhaps there is something else going on....but then again, perhaps not.

if you do choose to treat the tank with copper meds, keep in mind that you will likely be unable to keep inverts in that tank in the future. just something to consider. good luck. have you considered just a dip in a med bath?

Are the fish flashing at each other? What kind of fish? Could just be displays..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i agree with this. i notice some fish flashing every once in a while, but with no obvious symptoms, i just chalk it up as an itch. now, if youre noticing several doing so, perhaps there is something else going on....but then again, perhaps not.

if you do choose to treat the tank with copper meds, keep in mind that you will likely be unable to keep inverts in that tank in the future. just something to consider. good luck. have you considered just a dip in a med bath?

No I was going to treat them in the temp tank before I move them to the new one.

Are the fish flashing at each other? What kind of fish? Could just be displays..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to not worry so much but some have done it on the driftwood recently. I also have a ram that stopped eating (could be unrelated) but who knows. I just feel better safe than sorry so If I start getting new fish for the 55 Im not introducing them into something that is already fouled up.
I plan on setting up a quarantine tank after this as well.

Back
Top Bottom