Check out my build please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a thread called 30 gal build and I really need help. It has a few fish that just died and now algae problems. I don't know what to do and today is my last day to return any of the fish before I have to flush them.

from, Adam

What do you mean return them or flush them? What's going on with the fish? What symptoms? Water parameters? We're going to need some details to help.

You can return fish to a fish store, even if they won't give you anything. They usually quarantine them.

No they are already dead. Today's the last day for returns.

from, Adam

I an wondering why they have been dying. I do not test my water but it has already cycled( i have had this tank for a year with cichlids that did well). They were from a different store. I bought a pleco about a month a go from the same store that is doing well. The three fish that died were all in the same filtration system in the store. They were a pair of guppies and
A Molly. The Molly didn't look well when she was first acclimated into the tank. The male guppy was fine and the female started to not look well once he died. She died last night. I know have a small amount of diatoms in the tank. My stock list was.. A golden gourami, 3 mollies, a common pleco, and a pair of guppies. I also have two species of plants: wisteria and green cabomba. The cabomba is doing very well but the wisteria isn't. Thanks for the help it is appreciated

from, Adam

In my opinion, to be a successful hobbyist, you have to be able to test your water. Just because your tank is cycled means nothing. You can have all kinds of problems arise without knowing anything is wrong until your fish die unless you're testing your water regularly. Without test results, one can only assume a number of things have happened. I mean, I'd love to offer some advice, but all I can at this point is to buy a test kit so you know what's going on in your tank.

The fact that you are not testing your water, but have fish that are dying is not good. Many things can cause water parameters to head south, and you may not even know it... a test is the only way to be sure. Especially when something is "not quite right" in a tank. I test very infrequently in my established tanks... but at the first sign of a strand of algae, or any unusual critter behavior, the test battery comes out. That needs to be the first step.

ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH
temp

to start...

In my opinion, to be a successful hobbyist, you have to be able to test your water. Just because your tank is cycled means nothing. You can have all kinds of problems arise without knowing anything is wrong until your fish die unless you're testing your water regularly. Without test results, one can only assume a number of things have happened. I mean, I'd love to offer some advice, but all I can at this point is to buy a test kit so you know what's going on in your tank.

I second this and Forts advice. I tested weekly up until a certain point and got lazy. Sure enough, my fish started to act funny and I tested and noticed my ammonia was at 1ppm. Never assume, always test.

I guess your right. I do check my temp though lol. That would be really bad. Should I get in store credit for a test kit then? I wasn't going to buy fish but instead plants... I was also thinking that with the dead fish that might have caused an ammonia spike and that caused a mini cycle? Maybe that's why I got the diatoms.. I really don't trust the lfs though. They treat the fish as bad as most walmarts.

from, Adam

I bought more cabomba today... Actually got it for free. The lfs checked my water today and said it was fine. Nitrates were 5 i think. I got my money back for the fish and there was a sale I didn't notice on the plant I bought. I asked them about it and she said it was there last time. She said she would give me a free one since she messed up last time. Instead of one she gave me three! She gave me the rest of the stock saying tonight she's throwing them out. I guess I got lucky.

from, Adam

Also, I did look for test strips but it was either 40$ for a master kit or 13$ for 25 ammonia strips and 25 5-in-1 strips. Should I have gone with the strips.
Also, why do they have so many ammonia strips?

from, Adam

You should use the master kit, for sure. Theres just no way to get accurate readings from the test strips.

Back
Top Bottom