Cherry Barb w/ nicked fin: Infected or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? Male Cherry Barb. Dorsal fin got nicked last week when I was doing weekly pwc. He got too close to the tube and went for a ride. Noticed a nick in the leading edge of his dorsal fin about 2/3 of the way up from his body. After a couple of days, the portion of the fin above the nick was gone. This morning (7 days later) I noticed that there is a light grey area where the fin was nicked. Sometimes it looks fuzzy, but depending on the angle it looks more solid.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? 0 / 0 / <5 / 80f / 7.5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 5g Eclipse Hex 5 running for 9 weeks.

4~What type of filtration are you using? 5g Eclipse Hex 5

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 3 Cherry Barbs 1m, 2f each approx. 1.25 in. 2 Oto Cats approx 1 inch.

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 7 days ago. Weekly. 25%

7~How long have you had the fish? 9 weeks

8~Have you added anything new to the tank. 2 Oto cats added on Saturday.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flake

I tried to take a picture/video of the fish but he's just too darn fast. I have noticed no change in his behaviors or eating habits.

Any ideas?

Start by upping your water changes to 50%, 3x + per week. Clean water will allow most fish to recover from typical infections. Also, a 5 really is too small to sustain otos very well. I assume you're planning to get them onto veggies...

1 question to add- What type of test kit are you using and has it expired?

Using API Master Freshwater test kit purchased approx. 10 weeks ago. Date of manufacture is 12/09.

I was having a moderate brown algae problem that the Oto's are working wonders on. I will be supplementing their diet with blanched veggies (and I have some algae wafers at the ready as well).

Regarding my original query... I was finally able to get a pic:

I'm concerned about the grey spot on the leading edge of the dorsal fin.

P7055729.jpg

FYI, photographing cherries, like pimpin', ain't easy...

I've started doing 50% pwc's every other day and will continue to do so until this clears up. Still no change in behavior or appetite. FWIW, the affected fin is not looking frayed or ragged... it's a nice clean cut.

I have read some stuff that adding aquarium salt can help... is this idea good, bad or indifferent?

The benefits to using aquarium salt are not worth the risks IMO. Others may use it successfully, but I like to keep things as simple as possible. As long as the wound does not get worse, keep up with the water changes and it should heal. If you choose to medicate (including salt), use a seperate QT tank for it or you may have other troubles down the road.

Follow Up: The fin, despite this grey area, seems to be growing back. Maybe what I was seeing was like a scab of some sort?

Still doing the 50% pwc every other day until the fin is healed.

Back
Top Bottom