Cherry barbs dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabrina11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have had 6 cherry barbs for about two or three months now and they have grown really well. Over the past couple of weeks two have died and I think another two are on the way out. They seem to lose their ability to swim and where the tail joins the body looks bent almost.

We have a fully stocked 45g tank, and do 25% water change weekly, our ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate usually between 5-10.

None of our other fish are affected, so could it just be genetic or should I treat the tank for parasites etc?

Hi there - welcome to AA. Sorry for your loss.

Were there any marks on the scales or sores? Anything to suggest it could be bacterial? Any weight loss or white poop? Anything to confirm parasites?

Thanks for replying, they look perfectly healthy apart from the pinched tail, growing and eating well.

Hmm, well it sounds either parasites or bacterial but not much to go on. Water sounds fine.

Have there been any fish or plants introduced in the last couple of weeks? Any other changes to the tank? Any change in temperature even?

Just double checking but nothing could have attacked them or they got crushed?

No changes that I can think of, there is one female barb that chases the others a bit but no more than that.

I think try for parasites with a med. If two are on the way out and looking iffy, might as well give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom