Chinese algae eater lost a fin, has open sores.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobiusnu

Aquarium Advice Activist
A couple days ago I noticed that my Chinese algae eater's dorsal fin was missing. I thought one of my cichlids had nibbled it off. The CAE was in a 55 gallon tank with some adult yellow labs, adult aceis, and a couple of 2" mbambas.

I moved the CAE to my fry tank in hopes that he'd start getting better. Today I noticed that he's getting worse. He now has some open sores on his back and there's a spot on his head that looks like it's peeling.

Anyone know what's going on?

Water parameters: 79 degrees F; ammonia = 0ppm; nitrite = 0ppm; nitrate = 20ppm; ph = 7.6.

Fish: 3.5" long; 1 year old

cae03uh4.jpg

Edit: The Chinese algae eater just died. Should I be worried about some sort of communicable disease in the tank?

Sorry to hear about your loss. I would suspect an injury that got infected. At this point if it were me, I would keep an close eye on the tank but not worry about any disease if the other fish are healthy. A pwc wouldn't hurt anything mind you.

Do you think infection would explain how the sores were only along the center of the CAE's back and on the top of his head?

Back
Top Bottom