cichlid disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalcichlid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my african cichlids has something growing out of it's gill. It's a little blob that changes from white to pink to red. The fish seems otherwise healthy. What is it? How do I fix it? :confused:

Welcome to AA! We will need a bit more info to give you proper help. First what size tank, what is the cichlid and what are the tankmates? How often do you do water changes and how much? What are your water parameters? Have you added anything to the tank recently? Can you provide a picture? Sorry to ask so many questions but there are many things it could be and the answers to these questions will help us help you.

It's a 55gal tank. I believe the fish is called a blue johannie. the rest of the tank are an assortment of africans: labs, kenyans. I do a 20% change every two weeks. It's had the blob for about 6 months and I haven't seen it in any other fish.

The first thing I recommend is to start doing weekly water changes of at least 25%. The spot may be related to water quality, it may not but water changes will rule that out. Do you have a test kit to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What kind of filter/s? If it has had it for six months it may be a benign tumour. If that is the case there isn't anything you can do for him.

Hi. I have seen this before many times in almost all species of fish. Have you tried treating this fish for parasites? Has the growth grown in the past few months? I have had fish with this problem and have been able to treat them either with parasite medications or as a last resort (as stupid as it may seem) carefully removing the growth with tweezers.

Back
Top Bottom