cichlid ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tails007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. I have a 300l aquarium with ocean rock and coral sand, and approximately 20 various cichlids.

I've noticed that they are pretty much all rubbing themselves on the coral recently when they don't know I can see them. When they can see me they don't really do this as they just come to the surface for feeding.

They don't have any other signs off ill health such as clamped fins, white spots, sitting by the filter, or lethargic or shy... Just this rubbing. Is this cichlid ich??

If this is ich what is the best way to treat? I've read many different methods to the point of confusioon and I'm not even 100% that its ich??

Help please!!!

Also to add that I have 1 fluval 405 filter (looking to get another) and I do weekly 50% water changes

Flashing (rubbing) can be a sign of multiple things. What are the water parameters in your tank? High ammonia, nitrite or nitrate can cause flashing. Parasite infestation (ich, flukes, etc) can cause it. Bacterial infractions can cause it. Or the fish is just ichy. Are the fish doing anything else? Showing any other signs of illness. How often do they flash?

Hi mumma, I took a video tonight, Li k below and I found 5 times in 1 minute, what do you think? I've also added a pic of one with what might be white patches but could also just be natural coloration.... No other symptoms to report tho

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130116_003415.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_003415.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20130116_003428.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130116_003428.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 53
I can't view the vids because my Internet is shockingly slow (bring on the NBN!) but from the picture it just looks like the fish's coloring. I would just keep an eye on them all for now.

Thanks mumma. I went out and bought a water test kit. Results below:

CL2 (mg/ml) = 0
pH = 8
KH= 15d
GH = 16d
NO2 (mg/ml) = 0
NO3 (mg/ml) = 50

Does this look ok to you??

As long as your ammonia turns out to be zero. My guess is its high nitrate. African cichlids are very messy. I would do bigger water changes and make sure you have lots of filtration. See if that stops the flashing.

Thanks! So what is my NO3 per million? The scale is only mg/ml....

No ammonia test included in the kit :-(

Only did a 50% water change on Sunday just gone.

Thanks candiceg. I'm actually due to receive all new filter media tomorrow in the post. Should I replace all at once or would that mean that the filter would go back to being uncycled?

If I should separate the media change in any way, given my water results, what should be the order that I change the media and how long should I leave it between changing each type?

Thanks again

mg/ml = ppm

I wouldn't change out any more than 1/4 of your filter media at once. Wait 2 weeks then change another 1/4 and so on. Changing it all out will crash your tank.

You might need to up your water changes to 2x 50% weekly to keep up with your cichlids waste production.

Thanks very much for all your help! Sounds like I need to slowly replace this filter media, get another filter, and perform more frequent water changes to get past this! Thanks so much for all your help!

Why are you changing it? I've had the same media for a year and a half.

Back
Top Bottom