Cichlid with white cyst(?) on fin...(not ich)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebecca8476

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone! I am hoping you can help me whether or not I have a problem with my 60 gallon African cichlid tank. I noticed yesterday that three of my fish have a weird white cyst/nodule on one of their fins. I've attached pictures of my red zebra with the cyst on his bottom right fin. All of my fish appear to be acting and eating normally. Do you think this is some kind of fungus or parasite? Or could it be just a nipped fin that is healing? It's a pretty aggressive tank, so there could definitely some fin nipping going on.

My setup: :fish2:
My tank has about 25 African cichlids (mostly Malawi: peacocks, mbuna, zebra, yellow labs, acei, etc, all of them are about 2"-3.5"), 2 albino plecos, 1 catfish (synodontis multipunctatus), and 1 badass fire eel. Their diet is varied; I alternate between protein pellets, veggie pellets, dried bloodworms, and an occasional live shrimp feast. I use a Fluval 406 canister filter, and the water temp is kept at 79. The tank has been set up for about 8 months, and I've been adding fish a few at a time each month. I did a water change and vacuumed the gravel about three weeks ago, but I generally change the water as little as humanly possible. I also have no idea what the pH/nitrite/nitrate levels are. Yes, I know I'm a horrible fishkeeper!

So what do you guys think? Is the fin thing a problem? Any advice would be appreciated!!! (y)

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    214 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom