Clamped Fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Migs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I need your help. I purchased a Calico Oranda Goldfish 2 weeks ago. I tried to quarantine him but got desperate and after the first week and I transferred him/her over to my 40gallon to join my 2 other Fancys's.
After this he/she hasn't been the same or as active as my other 2. I've noticed that the fins are Clamped for most of the time. Bottom line it looks a bit sick.
What should I do? I don't want to loose him/her or any of the others. Are the others infected at this point?
I think it might be a parasite. Please help!
Thank you.

Hi!

I'm not very experienced with illnesses but I have a couple of questions just to rule out the obvious:

How long have your tanks been set up? Have they been properly cycled? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels in the 40 gal?

Are clamped fins the only symptom? Is it eating, swimming OK, rubbing against anything, etc?

Hello there and thank you in advanced for the reply. My current 40gallon has been established for about 3 months now with my current 2 goldies and properly cycled 2 months prior to adding them. I couldn't tell you right now what the reading are because I'm not home at the moment but my other Goldies have been fine.
I did notice last night that he was on occasion rubbing against the gravel, but he was very very week. This morning I found him against the filter, I thought he was dead! But thankfully not. I quickly transferred him over to my 10 gallon and put some aquarium salt as recommended on the label. He never lost his appetite but this morning did not seem hungry.q
I hate this , I don't want to lose him!

It could be a case of stress due to being picked on as the newbie in the tank. But I'm not an expert on Goldies. I know that they have very high bio loads and can get bloat fairly easy.
It could be that your water is getting to warm for him, being summer and all.
But I'm shooting in the dark without water parameters and details on his appearance.
But it sounds like you did the right thing by putting him back in QT, until you get this figured out.

OMG! He's baaack!!! Amazing. I just got home from my morning routine (off day) and he looks like the first day I got him, all of his fins are wide open and swimming around like nothing happened. He looks 70-80% better!!
This is mind blowing, I'm lost for words. I just did a PWC on my 40gallon just in case and treated it with some aquarium salt as well. I'm still not clear what was happening to him. You do bring some great points, we've had a few very hot days this week to the point where the water went up to mid 80's, I even had to put some ice in a ziplock bag to cool it down (twice), Until I read that 90* is still safe.
Right now both tanks are in mid 70's. I'll do a Water test later on to both tanks.
By the way, the two goldies in my 40gl seam normal at the moment, lots of energy :)
M

OMG! He's baaack!!! Amazing. I just got home from my morning routine (off day) and he looks like the first day I got him, all of his fins are wide open and swimming around like nothing happened. He looks 70-80% better!!
This is mind blowing, I'm lost for words. I just did a PWC on my 40gallon just in case and treated it with some aquarium salt as well. I'm still not clear what was happening to him. You do bring some great points, we've had a few very hot days this week to the point where the water went up to mid 80's, I even had to put some ice in a ziplock bag to cool it down (twice), Until I read that 90* is still safe.
Right now both tanks are in mid 70's. I'll do a Water test later on to both tanks.
By the way, the two goldies in my 40gl seam normal at the moment, lots of energy :)
M

I'm very glad to hear he's back, and almost to his old self again.
I may be wrong but aren't Gold fish cold water fish?
If they are in 90*water it would be very uncomfortable for them, even mid 70's is a bit higher than what they need. I always thought that Goldies liked their water closer to 70-72*.
If their water is to hot they would get lethargic. Maybe your original 2 Goldies have had enough time to become accustomed to the higher water temps. While your newer Goldie hasn't adapted to the warmer temps. yet.
Just a thought :).

Yes, they haven't missed a beat. They're activity behavior is very normal. I would be devastated if something happened to them, we've had them for a year now.

Thank you for your opinions & advices.

Have a wonderful weekend.

M

RIP Buster...

Attachments

• image-114036485.jpg
    image-114036485.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 75
Yes, they haven't missed a beat. They're activity behavior is very normal. I would be devastated if something happened to them, we've had them for a year now.

Thank you for your opinions & advices.

Have a wonderful weekend.

M

RIP Buster...

I'm happy your other Goldies are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom