clamped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello
What is the best thing to do when you see that one of your fish has clamped fins and hides? my orange platy has been doing this, she doesnt seem happy :( but my parameters are good and everyone else seems happy...

TIA

What are the exact readings of ammonia and nitrite?

When a fish acts funny I always first test the water (like you did) and second remove the fish to quarrantine. If this is the beginning of an illness you can keep it from spreading this way. Start with salt (1 tbsp/10gal) and observe for specific signs.

When i noticed my platy wasn't too happy, i moved her to my QT and added quickcure, 1 drop per gallon. My nitrite is 0, nitrate 10, ammonia 0. Which i think is good, so i can't see why my platy is unhappy. So if i am going to add salt now, would i have to remove a lot of water, since i have medication already in there?

thanx for the help so far
:D

You can usually use salt in conjunction with meds without much worry, so I would go ahead and treat with salt. Platys and mollies really do well with salt so I'd be comfortable doing that in your case.

so one tbsp per 10 gallon or 1 tbsp per 1 gallon lol. i am still confused on the whole salt thing... i've been told so many different things

Salt is generally 1 tbsp per 10 gal's, make sure its "Aquarium Salt", acquired inexspensively at your LFS or Wal-Mart.

Salt is generally 1 tbsp per 10 gal's, make sure its "Aquarium Salt", acquired inexspensively at your LFS or Wal-Mart.

actually i have used real sea salt in my tanks and i was told on here its good to use also. i was also told that it's 1 tbsp per gallon....

:?:

Back
Top Bottom