Clamped Fins.. fins rotting off.. white patches on skin... All my fish are dying..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The 30g tank just cant win... My moms livebearer fish are all dying 1 by 1.. I first noticed it by the white patches on there bodies mouths and head.. It isn't fuzzy but it looks deeper then the skin and it a white patch not white dots like ich.. Then one of my moms fish who had it on the mouth died.. Then a second one died which looks like it had it in its gills.. Now a third one lost half it fin all the way to the body almost..

So I got some triple sulfa and used it for 4 days and after the third day it actually looked like that fish was getting better the infection looked gone and its fin started moving again when he was swimming.. However that stuff is $16 per box and for a 30g tank it only lasts for 3 days full treatment and 4 if I stretch it.. I simply cannot afford more of it.. On top of that my BB was pretty much dead as ammonia was in the tank and my plants I noticed were withering as well.

Its been 2 days now since I last used the meds and I put carbon in the tank yesterday and did some water changes because the tank water looked black for some reason when I put the carbon in.. Anyway that one fish who looked ike he was recovering.. his already eatin away fin is now all frayed again like the infection is back.. and his good fin is clamped and he is smacking himself against plants on that side.. He doesn't look that healthy and this fish is one my mom really likes and has had for years..

What am I going to do ?? How do I stop this... The only thing I can think of is to maybe take my betta out of my 5g tank and get more meds and that way I can use them for a longer period being in a smaller tank... but that wont cure the main tank.. and it will most likely give my betta the same disease.

I think its columnaris or something....

It sounds A lot like columinaris. My female pearl gourami had it on the mouth and died very quick. My male had it on his gill/fin area and it was getting to the point where his fin was totally rotted off. But aggressive treatment saved him and he's happy as can be today. So yes in my opinion sounds like you've got columiaris. It's an aggressive disease and kills quick so get on top of treatment. If you go on my profile and look at one of the threads I started a nice lady helped me through each step on how to treat it. I suggest doing what she said because it worked very well. I believe if you go to m profile the thread that will help you most is titled: treatment question URGET!!!! Or something along those lines

I don't see any thread ? I have done some research and apparently triple sulfa is highely effective it says but its just so expensive and when I used it, it was clearly working... but I cant afford $20 every 4 days.. I read that if you turn the temps down to like 74f and use 1% aquarium salt solution.. which for my tank would be around 1 tablespoon per gallon that it will kill the bacteria..

So I turned my heater down to 74f left my lid open and turned off my lights to lowers the temps as they are 78-80f right now. and I just put in about 12 tablespoon of aquarium salt. I'll add more tomorrow.. I wish I could afford the triple sulfa that stuff really was working great but grr so much $$

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see any thread ? I have done some research and apparently triple sulfa is highely effective it says but its just so **** expesive and when I used it, it was clearly working... but I cant afford $20 every 4 days.. I read that if you turn the temps down to like 74f and use 1% aquarium salt solution.. which for my tank would be around 1 tablespoon per gallon that it will kill the bacteria.. So I turned my heater down to 74f left my lid open and turned off my lights to lowers the temps as they are 78-80f right now. and I just put in about 12 tablespoon of aquarium salt. I'll add more tomorrow.. I wish I could afford the triple sulfa that stuff really was working great but grr so much $$
You have scroll all the way down on all the threads started by this user. Ok you have to turn your temp down below 54° so don't bother with that. The lady that helped me said Kanaplex helps so look for that stuff online.

Back
Top Bottom