clamped fins in livebearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefGuru

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two tanks (40 gallons both) full of livebearers. Their water parameters all test normal (pH 7.4, ammonia and nitrite are 0, with nitrate being kept down to 10). They are planted and lightly stocked. There is no CO2 injection or anything of the kind. I recently bought some sword tails in one, and some platies in another. I beleive that they brought in an infection, as some fish, mainly the ones I bought are clamping their fins. I know this is a sign of a dissease, and as such I have added salt to the aquariums to reduce stress, and I have given them KMnO4 dips which start to revive them a bit, and they are ok for a couple of days, and then start displaying the symptoms again. Does anybody know what medication would work best for this. I understand that it is common with livebearers, and I have always been successful in getting rid of it with KMnO4 baths. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Be careful with the salt and plant combo. Most plants do not fare well with salt additions.

I'm not exactly sure what "clamped fins" are, but try searching this site and see if it lists what you are asking about.

If you add aquarium salt it shouldn't be a problem whatsoever as long as it's used in resonable amounts. Marine salt is what really kills most plants.

All I know is that this is usually called shimmy. A lot of livebearers like mollies get this when stressed over long periods of time. My cousins female guppies got this a lot escpecially since he hada couple of males with 2 females and countless other types of fish. Other fish even tried mating with the females. After a while the faced the water current and would swim in one spot for hours. only moving to eat sometimes, after about 3 weeks they usually died.

I don't know how to prevent it o get rid of it though. There is a product by Jungle or whatever its called to prevent shimmy though but ive never heard of anybody using it.

Back
Top Bottom