Clamped tail on platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so this is most definitely my bad for not questioning this earlier BUT.... I came home yesterday and one of my platys was dead. :(
I noticed a few days ago that this guy's tail was not fanned out like the rest. It looked clamped, just not the same fanned out tail like the rest. He appeared to be swimming around and eating as normal so I just figured he had an ugly tail. Well now he's dead.... Is this something to look for in the future? Do they clamp up their tails when they are sick? Is there some type of sickness associated with it?
BTW- water parameters have been totally normal ever since I popped them in the tank a few weeks ago. I do my routine water change every week and test my water- everything has been dandy. No other fish appear sick or to have the "clamped" tail. Nothing new/no changes to the tank. I've had these platys for a few weeks now. I had 3 males & 6 females. Now I'm down to 2 males & 6 females- should I replace the male I lost or is that ratio okay?

Back
Top Bottom