Clarification - DG disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright. I've read about it. I've read stories about it. Don't get it. What in blue blazes is DG disease? What does it look like? Pictures would be great if possible. What do you do if it rears its ugly head?

I don't really think it looks like anything. Maybe a little bloated and they become lethargic. Mine passed about a month or so ago randomly as many others have reported. One day he was fine, the next sick, and the next dead. All params were great, all other live stock was fine. It's a real shame, I love DG's. mine lasted about 6 months I'd say.

Mine is bloated and won't touch peas. I refuse to starve everyone longer so went back to feeding after a 3 day fast. I'm figuring he'll either poop and deflate or eat himself to death. I just have no ideas about DG disease and it came up in my research on him. Didn't read a lot about it because he was fine and dandy. No problems till now. I tried to fix it but he won't have none of it.

Ok, I dont keep gouramis so I have not spent alot of time researching their various afflications beyond those that are common to all aquatic fish but these are the basics on DGIV (dwarf gourami iridovirus). Its a virus specific to the gourami species. Its quite common, highly contagious, untreatable (as are most viral issues) and always fatal. Symptoms include loss of color, legarthy/inactivity, loss of appetite and abdominal swelling. Only a vet would be able to specifically ID the virus with lab analysis. Euthanasia is the only option available to prevent the disease from spreading, unfortunately. Heres a good article with more info:

http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/education/ras/publications/Update/Iridovirus%20in%20gouramis.pdf

edit- sorry, link didnt work! It should now

Yep, I think mine has it. He's swollen and salt, fasting and peas have no effect. He also has some rough patches of skin, like ulcerated. He's still feisty. But probably won't make it much longer.

Torch has his fat belly and has enjoyed camping out next to the heater, but still eats and his color is fine. I'm not sure he's gonna go but I'll have to watch. I just thought he was bloated but he won't eat peas. Just play with them.

My DG died a couple of weeks ago.
The only symptoms i saw were his lethargy and that over a few days he seemed to lose the ability to swim properly. He started hiding in the bottom back corner of the tank, swimming up for an occasional gulp of air, then sinking back down. No discolouration, no change in size or shape...
Then after about 3 days, I got up in the morning and he was dead.

It was pretty sad, and actually annoying that I couldn't find anything online to diagnose properly.

I hope yours fares better.

Back
Top Bottom