clear slime on my angels help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delfisherman

Aquarium Advice Freak
my angels in my 55 gal have developed some white slime that hangs off of their tail head and bodies, the only thing that has changed in my tank is that the tempurature has been lowered a little. i added some melafix to the tank is there anything else i should do?

Hi! Can you tell us what your parameters are and what your using to test? Water change schedule (%/#wk)? Have you added any new fish in the past few months? Can you possibly post a pic? Excess slimecoat can indicate a sudden shift in parameters but it also can indicate a parasite issue. Some more info will help!

well i have no clue on the actual parameters except that i do 50% water changes weekly and nothing new has gone in the tank for about 4 months. the only change is the water temperature. so i already dosing with a fungal medication my local breeder and advice guru recomended.

Without knowing your parameters, its very difficult to say if your water is the cause or if its a parasite issue. Its not a fungal issue. Drastic swings in ph are a possible cause but as we dont know what your ph was in the past or what it is now for comparison. Perhaps your municipality switched to using chloramine or increased the level of disinfectant they are using and now you have a spike in toxins. A drop in temp as well may have been enough to stress your fish and lower their immunity to a parasite that they were already infected with.

It really is vital to know your water parameters and what is contained in your source water, especially when you have sick fish because the majority of fish illness can be directly or indirectly related to issues with the water.

i have well water so there shouldnt be a change in the well water. my breeder said i could bring water over to him for him to test. so far the slime has been gone for an hour so im gonna follow the directions and see the medicine through and fo a change of water in 5 days

Back
Top Bottom