Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cloudy Eye

Hi all,

Unfortunately I discovered one of my Cories floating on the bottom of my tank today .

Of interest I noticed that the Cory had one cloudy eye which struck me as unusual

Anyway usual details..

PH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
Temp 25
No new introductions

Anyone have any thoughts why my Cory passed on and what I need to do to prevent other fish from moving on?

Cheers in advance

Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your nitrate levels are pretty high. Ideally, they should be less than 20ppm. I would do some water changes to get them down to a healthier level. A single cloudy eye usually indicates a possible injury to the eye. Any chance of a bully or aggression?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Your nitrate levels are pretty high. Ideally, they should be less than 20ppm. I would do some water changes to get them down to a healthier level. A single cloudy eye usually indicates a possible injury to the eye. Any chance of a bully or aggression?
Agreed on the nitrate, is definately my next 'to do'.

As for the bully in the tank I don't believe so...I haven't seen any signs of one and the biggest fish is a Bristlenose pleco.

I'm starting to think the little fella was my first warning of a PH crash...
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah-ha!!! I didnt know there was a ph crash issue happening! Yes, a drop in ph can cause eye issues (acidic environment). Tiime for some water changes to re-establish your buffers & lower your nitrates. Once your tank is stable, your fish should heal up on his own with healthy water.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Ah-ha!!! I didnt know there was a ph crash issue happening! Yes, a drop in ph can cause eye issues (acidic environment). Tiime for some water changes to re-establish your buffers & lower your nitrates. Once your tank is stable, your fish should heal up on his own with healthy water.
Cheers, at the time of posting this thread my PH was 6.8 which was slightly lower than usual but nothing alarming. The next day however it was 6.3 which set of alarms bells in my head!

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy eye, eye

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com