Cloudy Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Unfortunately I discovered one of my Cories floating on the bottom of my tank today :(.

Of interest I noticed that the Cory had one cloudy eye which struck me as unusual :confused:

Anyway usual details..

PH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
Temp 25
No new introductions

Anyone have any thoughts why my Cory passed on and what I need to do to prevent other fish from moving on?

Cheers in advance (y)

Your nitrate levels are pretty high. Ideally, they should be less than 20ppm. I would do some water changes to get them down to a healthier level. A single cloudy eye usually indicates a possible injury to the eye. Any chance of a bully or aggression?

Your nitrate levels are pretty high. Ideally, they should be less than 20ppm. I would do some water changes to get them down to a healthier level. A single cloudy eye usually indicates a possible injury to the eye. Any chance of a bully or aggression?

Agreed on the nitrate, is definately my next 'to do'.

As for the bully in the tank I don't believe so...I haven't seen any signs of one and the biggest fish is a Bristlenose pleco.

I'm starting to think the little fella was my first warning of a PH crash...:(

Ah-ha!!! I didnt know there was a ph crash issue happening! Yes, a drop in ph can cause eye issues (acidic environment). Tiime for some water changes to re-establish your buffers & lower your nitrates. Once your tank is stable, your fish should heal up on his own with healthy water.

Ah-ha!!! I didnt know there was a ph crash issue happening! Yes, a drop in ph can cause eye issues (acidic environment). Tiime for some water changes to re-establish your buffers & lower your nitrates. Once your tank is stable, your fish should heal up on his own with healthy water.

Cheers, at the time of posting this thread my PH was 6.8 which was slightly lower than usual but nothing alarming. The next day however it was 6.3 which set of alarms bells in my head!

Back
Top Bottom