Cloudy eye and brown spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shepz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!

I'm back again with another query on my fishes health.

He has got one cloudy eye (look on picture) and also brown dots around the cloudy eye.

Causes and fixes? I'm guessing it could be due too water quality but any help is appreciated.

I'm just giving him an Epsom bath due to him always being bloated/constipated but somehow still survives.

Thanks for viewing!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410363562.644151.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410363591.084966.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410363632.983604.jpg

- Sam

Additional info

My tank is approximately 40gallon/200litres. The filter I have is an Aquamanta EFX300 which is suitable up too 300litre tanks and has a max flow rate of 1100 lph. I also have another little filter which just keeps the tank flowing a bit more.

Not too sure on my parameters, need too find a cheap testing kit. The fish live off a diet of flake food with peas every now and then.

I have three weather loaches, two black moors and two goldfish - one of them being the ill fish.

I try and do a 40% water change at least once a week but sometimes I am very busy and it is hard to keep up!

- Sam

If you are in the US, you can get a liquid test kit for about $25. It is worth the expense in the long run and will last a while. Without your readings, it will be hard for people to give you feedback.

Water quality is essential to good fish health. Many illnesses are symptoms of poor,water quality and are not always diseases per se. It sounds like cloudy or pop eye. I am not sure on the brown spot. Is that one area looking like a hole?

As my user name suggests, I am by no means an expert. I am passing along information that has been helpful to me in trying to figure out what is going on.
I wish I could be more helpful, just trying to get the ball of information rolling for you.

Also, you may want to add some slime coat stuff to your tank in case holding the fish for his photo stressed him out or affected his slime!

Thanks for the quick reply - do you know what the difference between cloudy eye a pop eye is? And do they both cause fish death?

I live in the UK so my best bet will probably to order a parameter kit on eBay or something, only problem is money is a big issue for me at the moment, sadly.

Hopefully it hasn't stressed him, he's very friendly and will literally swim onto my hand if I put it in the tank. When taking the pictures he just remained still with a normal breath rate (looking at his gills) - very chilled fish I must say!

- Sam

Hopefully it's not pop eye, looking at that link it's cloud eye, I've just looked at an old photo and the fish has had this eye problem for quite a few months now without me noticing!

As for the brown dots, they might just be part of the fishes body, not too sure though

- Sam

Back
Top Bottom