Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dayscatwoman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 75 gal freshwater tank that has been in operation for about 10 years. It previouslly contained African cichlids and clown loaches, but about 6 mo. ago my remaining cichlids died (not sure of the causes, only affected cichlids and my clown loaches and algae eater were fine.) A month ago I eliminated my 30 gal. freshwater tank and put its inhabitants (various community fish in my 75 gal.) I did my water change and all was fine for a week. I purchased a new foam insert for my aquaclear filter (and rinsed it before inserting and did a regular water change.) I noticed my water wasnt very clean a week later so i did a water change and put in new carbon.) Since this I have had really cloudy water and my fish are flicking off rocks though I see no sign of ich on them. I waited a week and did another water change (still just as cloudy if not more so.) I tested the ammonia levels-nothing abnormal. The only behavioral difference Im seeing in the fish is the flicking and now my clown loaches are constantly swimming upward in the filter stream more than their usual resting on bottom. Im worried about my fish and have never had this problem before, always had clear water. My temps are alright, I have 2 sponge filters that have always run alongside my aquaclear 110, and there should be plenty of oxygen in the tank for its inhabitants. Please help me set my tank back to normal!

What are you using to test your water? It sounds like you are going through a mini cycle. I would test your nitrites and nitrates also. Keep ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm with water changes.

Is the cloudiness a white or green color? You can put some tank water in a glass and look at it under good lighting.

Tank cloudiness is white. Ithink I may of upset the good bacterial balance when I switched out the old sponge in filter (previous one was at least 1 year old.) I have no test kit for the nitrates, I will purchase one tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to help other than water changes? How often should I be changing with this problem?

Back
Top Bottom