Cloudy water, gasping fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my cichlid tank, the water has been cloudy all week...not much, just not clear. I'm thinking the chemical (CHEMIPURE) bags need to be changed.

But now, one of the fish is staying in the corner and gasping and today...looked like it threw up a red (bloody) piece of flesh... it looks like it is choking on a piece of substrate (crushed argonite). All the others seem fine and are eating.

PH - over 8.7
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite -0
Nitrate - haven't tested

Last water change - 2 Fridays ago

cichlids do suck up rocks every now and then when they look for food. I think you are right in thinking that the cichlid got a piece of gravel stuck in its throat. What to do about it I wish I knew. You could put it in a seperate hospital tank before it coughs up any more blood which could be bad for the rest, see if the guyg or girl can get that piece out and live.
The water may also be cloudy if you haven't vacuumed out the gravel in a while. sometimes my fish like to peck the ground or scurry when something frightens them and stir up gavel, which could make food particles or waste imbedded into the ground come up again. I hope some of these suggestions help you any.

I'll be doing a water change on friday... In the past I haven't removed ALL the rocks.. So I missed some areas... I'll have to do a better job this time... They even get RO water since I have the filter for my SW... they should be doing great with all the love I give :roll:

Back
Top Bottom