Cockatoo Cichlids with dropsy, PLEASE read.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have already diagnosed the fish with dropsy as they are pale in color, hanging out at the top, not eating, lethargic and recently developed the "pinecone look."....sad.

One is a male and the other a female.
there is another female with fry in the tank as well. (they all look healthy)
I'm currently in the middle of a broad range anti-bacterial treatment.

What should my next steps be?
If the mother and babies look healthy, should i leave them in the tank so they receive the medicated bath as well?
Is dropsy "in the water", and will this broad range anti-bacterial kill it?
Anything that can be of some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much,
Steve

My cockatoo just died from this once I diagnosed it he died a day later gl with yours, I will be following.

Unfortunately if it has gotten to the point of visible dropsy, it is usually fatal. Maracyn & maracyn 2 may work but they may also do more damage. Dropsy is a symptom of something else (bacteria, viral, etc.) so until you determine that and eliminate it or it goes away, the tank is potantially at risk. High quality water will be your best prophylactic.

True dropsy is an internal bacterial infection. It irreversibly damages the kidneys (thus fluid retention & bloated pine-cone effect). Maracyn 2 (minocycline) along with an antibiotic food (such as metro meds) may help to combat it if its not too severe. The prognosis however is not a good one because of the organ damage. A fish may recover initially only to succumb weeks or months later. I wish you luck with your fish & will keep my fingers crossed!!

Yeah, it was too late. I had to put him out of his misery his morning. : (
It's alot harder than ppl realize because we are seeing and taking care of these fish day in and day out you definitely become attached. Noticing little habits and behaviors. And dare i say personality.
Anyway, i hope that the bacterial medicine kills it in the fish that look okay!

Im sorry about your fish :( Euthanasia is a hard decision to make with any pet. Keep us posted on your other guys & i hope for the best!

Thanks. I will keep you guys posted. If i can figure out anything that could possibly help out other people in the future i definitely will!

Back
Top Bottom