Cold Water Gold/Koi tank with Ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtastically

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.

I am not an expert fish person. I have had fish for 5 years now, started with 2 golds in a 10 gallon moved them to a 20,added some fish then 45, then a 75 added some fish, and now I just moved them all to a 125 last week.

I have 6- 4" SplitTail golds, 1 - 13" long tail comet thing, 4 - 4" butterfly koi, 1- 16" Sailfin giblicep Pleco, 1- 8" normal Pleco, 1- Pimodella cat, 3- Otto Cats

I noticed that the two newest Koi have white spots and found out that it's Ick.
The Ick is only on two fish but from what i have read, the whole tank is screwed...:cry:

This makes me really worried and upset, I love my fish and have had them for a long time. I have read around 30 different posts from all around the internet. It keeps saying turn up your heat but they are cold water and I don't own a heater :/ also I was told by my LFS to use coppersafe, the bottle said it treated 94 gallons so I put the whole bottle in. Of course after the fact I find some posts saying that that is really bad for fish?

Any advice/direction would be really appreciated. I would be really sad if i lost some of my oldest friends with fins.

PH 7.6
ammonia 0 ppm
Filtration - FX5 642 gph
I attached a picture of my tank as well

Please let me know if you need more information!

Attachments

• 20140507_235140.jpg
    20140507_235140.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 67
Please help anyone.

I guess what I am asking is, what else can I do besides the coppersafe i already did to get rid of Ick in my coldwater gold/koi tank

Please let me know

Gravel vacs and water changes will help get rid of ick from the water column. Also the water changes will keep the water clean and help prevent secondary infections.

Are those plastic plants?

I'm not sure on temp increases for goldfish but any temp increase will speed the ick cycle up. You need a goldfish expert though for this as I'm not sure how what goldfish can handle temp wise.

Edit - just checking but is it definitely ich as white salt like grains over the body, etc.

Gravel vacs and water changes will help get rid of ick from the water column. Also the water changes will keep the water clean and help prevent secondary infections.

Are those plastic plants?

I'm not sure on temp increases for goldfish but any temp increase will speed the ick cycle up. You need a goldfish expert though for this as I'm not sure how what goldfish can handle temp wise.

Edit - just checking but is it definitely ich as white salt like grains over the body, etc.

Yes. it is definitely Ick. and those are plastic plants. I have done a bunch of research and comparing online. my main question is what other methods (besides the mardel coppersafe I used yesterday) can I try to get rid of Ick without raising the temperature as I do not own a heater.

Last edited:
Yes. it is definitely Ick. and those are plastic plants. I have done a bunch of research and comparing online. my main question is what other methods (besides the mardel coppersafe I used yesterday) can I try to get rid of Ick without raising the temperature as I do not own a heater.

At work so can't do the search but sea salt would be another way. Try searching for posts by jlk on this. No plants to kill with salt so not a problem there.

Does it a say what is in the coppersafe?

At work so can't do the search but sea salt would be another way. Try searching for posts by jlk on this. No plants to kill with salt so not a problem there.

Does it a say what is in the coppersafe?

From their Website:

Cupric Sulfate (Copper) Cupric Sulfate 6 mg in 1 mL

Back
Top Bottom