Columnaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think my new acei may have Columnaris. Its almost like something is eating his scales and maybe starting on the flesh. Here's some pics:
img_1111137_0_cff331351fb2bbcf7b4653d5eb94f226.jpg

img_1111137_1_fa00009471c5eecb39044b6d198ac6f8.jpg

What do you think it is? What should I do for it? I heard adding salt could help so I added a little but I don't think that would do much. I have some fungus clear that says it clears fungus and bacteria-related conditions, if I need to use that, although I don't really want to. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Don't know anything about acei ... and can't make out too much details on the pictures.

However, if you were to treat columnaris with salt, you need more than just a "little bit" ... you need a minimum of 0.1% (~1 tablespoon in 5 gal).

Yeah, sorry about the pics. I didn't know how much to add that's kinda why I mentioned it. Aquarium salt will work won't it (as in fw salt)?

Did a pwc, added some more salt and turned up the heater a notch. I also let him out of the net cause I doubt that would help him since this isn't just cause of aggression.

When i got that last bunch of acei, i spread columnaris to my whole 150g :( What worked for me was the recommended dosage of salt on the carton of aq salt (i think its the same as jsoong stated), daily dosing of recommended dose of pimafix and melafix both, as well as a daily 50% pwc. Also, lower your temperature. Higher temps spread columnaris faster. I kept my temp at 72 for 3 weeks. Hope you get it all straightened out dude.

thAnks. I just read that about the temps and turned it back down. I'll try to get those tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have enough money. What's the dosage on the primafix and melfix? Also Im gonna need some more salt.

i cant remember what the dosage is... I think it is 5ml for every 10 gallons, but its been so long since i had to use it, i've forgotten. If you read the bottle, it'll tell you how many doses are in it, get enough for at least 14 doses to be safe. I dont think you'll need a whole lot since you're using a qt... right?

Yeah I'm using a qt. I also added an air stone because I read the bacteria doesn't like well oxygenated water.

Yeah they're in qt. That's why I'm gonna treat the whole tank. They haven't shown any signs of it but it could just be in it earlier stages. That's why I need to start treatment as soon as I get those meds.

Btw I'm not sure my tank will get down to 72. I unplugged it though buy before I had a heater I think it was usually at 76. But anyway I have the lights turned off too and hopefully it will cool down some more (it's at 80)

Well the room temperature is 76. And I don't have a fan that small lol. I can't open the window cuz it's storming but I have my bedroom door open with the fan in it.

I put this in your other post, not seeing this thread....

Melafix is oil of Melaleuca leucadendron. You can get the pure oil very cheap. Get a plastic water bottle and put some tank water in it. You put 1 drop of oil per 10 gal of water, put the cap back on and shake it like your life depends on it then pour it in the tank.

Pimafix is made from Pimenta racemosa . You can get the pure oil very cheap. Get a plastic water bottle and put some tank water in it. You put 1 drop of oil per 10 gal of water, put the cap back on and shake it like your life depends on it then pour it in the tank.

On a different forum I am on many people combine the two and over there it is called "Superfix". I use this "Superfix" and it works.

So even though I'm still treating the tank, the leonardo and mercutio's condition seem to be getting worse, almost like their lips are being dissolved, very heartbreaking :cry:

just keep up the treatments and the daily water changes... like most diseases, they'll get worse before they get better. its a good thing you caught it early, wishing the best for ya

I put this in your other post, not seeing this thread....

Melafix is oil of Melaleuca leucadendron. You can get the pure oil very cheap.

Pimafix is made from Pimenta racemosa. You can get the pure oil very cheap.

On a different forum I am on many people combine the two and over there it is called "Superfix". I use this "Superfix" and it works.

Where does one get Melaleuca leucadendron and Pimenta racemosa pure oils?

Back
Top Bottom