Columnaris.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right well ive been battling columnaris for awhile.now and ive just finished a furan2 and kanaplex course and it hasnt even touched it. Im going to try myxazin and salt again and double the time frame.

Im really running out of options now and i dont know what to do and its bringing me down! i really cant bring myself to kill my fish but i wont let them suffer either so my choices are limited.

Im stuck :( help.

Just throwing this out here but can you lower temperature at all?

I only mention as I didn't have much luck treating for neons. I tried salt, antibiotics, medicines and h2o2 with no success.

The b/n catfish I think I caught early but we had a week of lower temps which I think helped.

Yep i lowered the temp. Horrible nasty disease that i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Maybe time to call the vet.

Best of luck with it, totally agree.

Hopefully there is a good suggestion out there.

This is very much just in theory but I did toy with the idea of driving ph down to say 6.5. This was based on some very loose reading the bacteria might prefer higher ph and I was kind of at desperation stage. I never tried it but wondering if you had heard anything like that?

Logic tells me you could be right as most bacteria thives in harder alkaline water but i dont know for sure.

I thankfully have not had this disease on any fish in a long time. Its nasty and tough to get rid of. My suggested course of treatement, and it does work, is a hospital tank with methylene blue and marine salt to brackish conditions (if your fish can tolerate that of course) along with a antibiotic called terramycin that is usually introduced via feed but for you they may not be eating. Lowering or raising the temperature doesn't really matter, but actually I would raise it to about 78. What kind of fish do you keep? Im assuming guppies? You can get methylene blue for $6 a bottle, a big 50lb bag of marine salt for $25 and terramycin feed runs about $3.00 a pound.
Sometimes once this disease takes hold there is just not much you can do except maybe break a crowded tank down and put them into smaller "factions" even if you got to throw them into a tub with no heater or filter just water and medicine, if the disease takes hold in a crowded guppy tank from fish injuring themselves fighting or mating or whatever, you don't have much to do but this.... best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom