Columnaris, best way to treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Best way to treat this? I am doing a PWC as we speak and have done a lot of research, so I'm pretty sure it's columnaris. I am hopeful, but we shall see. I am also going to clean out the filter and hoses, I think it's over due. So besides daily PWC's what treatment do you recommend.

Tank specs:
55gal FW
marineland magnum 350 pro w/ bio wheels

Fishies:
12 neon tetras
5 giant danios
1 BN (or possibly pitbull) pleco

Most common antibacterial treatments will work fine, e.g. Maracyn + Maracyn 2. Add aquarium salt and reduce the temperature to below 75°. Flexibacter grows fast in high temps. Dim the lights too, and add a bubbler as Maracyn can lower the 02 (although you should be fine at 75°). If it's a mild case you may want to try Pimafix first. Test your water throughout treatment. Antibacterial meds can destroy the beneficial bacteria as well.

David

When I had a bout with columnaris I used Maracyn 2 for 5 days it gets expensive if you have a big tank because it's 1 packet per 10 gallons. Then I dropped the tank temp to 72 slowly. I also used Kosher salt 2x's a day. One dose in the am and the second dose at night.

I still lost about 19 fish but was able to save the rest and the tank. Took about 2 weeks. I didn't do any water changes while treating and when I was done I did a 75% water change and added carbon. This was all per some members here and the company that puts out Maracyn 2.

I didn't have to go with Maracyn plus.

Good luck. I also had Cichlids so I'm not sure if it matters.

Disagree- maracyn is erythromycin. Erythromycin
is a gram positive antibiotic while flexibacteria is gram negative. Erythromycin will do nothing to treat columnaris. I have been seeing more frequent cases of columnaris being resistant to maracyn2 (minocycline). Mino is also not as effective in higher phs.

Dropping the temp into the low 70's & adding a low dose of salt is well advised. Kanamycin sulfate would be the best option for treatment. I would try National fish Pharmecuticals site for ordering it because it is not readily available in most lfs. Please ask if you have any questions!

Can can only tell you what worked for me. And Maracyn 2 did the trick unless the salt and lowered temp did it and I was just throwing the M2 in the tank for nothing.

What I do know that worked for is fact. Check out my thread. Low temp,Kosher salt and Maracyn 2 did the trick.

Here's my thread. Hope it lends a hand.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/help-urgent-fish-mayday-188992.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom