Columnaris on dwarf puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Friday morning I noticed one of my dwarf puffers was "sleeping" wedged between the heater and the tank side. When I looked closer and saw it was floating head up, I figured it had died (it's been an awful week at my house for fish), so I got the net to fish it out, but he was alive! Since then, it's been lethargic and resting on the plastic plant leaves close to the top of the tank. Both puffers ate well when they were fed Wednesday. When I fed them today, I put bloodworms right in front of it and the puffer acknowledged my presence, but showed no interest in food. The other puffer is active and ate well. Today, I noticed the sick puffer's lower beak looks possibly overgrown and I can't decide whether or not it has a whitish color. Its tail may also have some discoloration, but I think there's a small nick in the fin that's been there since I got them. According to the Pandora's Aquarium site, the disease that best matches the symptoms may be columnaris? Should I treat in case it is?

I'll take water in for testing tomorrow (I know, I know...I *meant* to get a testing kit last weekend and then forgot!), but there is a good possibility the tank has been warmer than usual because of the summer weather and inadequate a/c in our house. I've been trying to compensate by leaving the tanks as uncovered as possible and only turning the hood lights on a few hours a day for the sake of the plants.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and I know that pics would be an enormous help, but I'm technology-deprived here.

Well, today the puffer is just sitting at the bottom of the tank and its lower jaw is obviously swollen and discolored. Help!!

Back
Top Bottom