Columnaris on Plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aptom203

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently noticed a pale saddle-like coloration on my pair of clown plecos, and I am concerned it might be Columnaris. Both fish are behaving normally and eating well but this saddle like pattern appeared shortly after transfering them from a much smaller tank to the new, larger one. It does not seem to have progressed past the initial spread.

I began treating my tank with Melafix as soon as I noticed the pale patches, but there doesn't seem to have been much change for better or for worse.

One of the plecos and a black molly in the tank also have pale yellow coloration at the ends of their fins which look slightly worn away- another symptom of columnaris?

In total I have 13 colombian tetras, 6 black widow tetras, 5 mollies, 3 rosy barbs, a gourami, 2 plecos and 1 mystery snail all in a 66g tank. I'm using a 200 galon per hour powerhead with a wet/dry spraybar filter. I have 1 basket of ceramic biomax tubes and 2 compartments of bioballs in my filter chambers, as well as filter floss in all 4. One of them did house activated carbon which I removed when I started treating the fish.

So far I have lost two fish in my tank, a very small pleco and a black molly who both went from fine and healthy to dead and covered in a white film overnight. The remaining fish have not shown any signs of illness until now.

Did a water test just before posing this and the readings are as follows:

Nitrates: 10ppm, Nitrites: 0, Ammonia: 0, 8d GH, 3d KH, PH 6.8, Chlorine 0

I have been doing roughly 40% water changes each week, and vacuming the gravel in the process.

Does this sound like Columnaris? How can I treat the fish? I have heard of copper based compounds which would kill my snails, or using salt which would kill my plecos, so I am at a bit of a loss. I cannot currently afford a hospital tank for the treatment of the sick fish. I previously had a borrowed QT/Hospital tank but have recently returned it to the friend it was borrowed from.

I am in the UK so it is not easy for me to obtain Antibiotics as they are rarely sold over the counter here.

Sadly, I had photos on my phone which is now broken (cracked the screen -.-) I'm going to see if I can borrow a friends' phone when he's over next and get a photo. I'm not sure its a burn simply because on both fish the pale pattern runs from the side of the body up to the dorstal fins on both sides and is very symetrical.

The melafix seems to be clearing up the fin rot at least.

Finally managed to get a decent close-up photo of one of the two affected plecos. He is still active and eating well- The pale patch I'm concerned about runs from the start to about halfway down his dorsal fin, and down the side of his body almost to his pectoral fins. He also has a similar pale patch forming on his tail now, I'm not sure if you can see it in this picture.

Attachments

• pleco2.jpg
    pleco2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom