Columnaris question? Should I euthanize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a suspected Columnaris outbreak in my five gallon. I’ve lost most of the baby guppies and one adult guppy.

I have currently been treating with Kanamycin/ Furan2. I’m about at the end of that treatment.

Now I have several guppies that look normal but the adult algae eater has been seriously maimed. One eye has completely rotted away and the other one is still covered in a white bubble. Yesterday I thought he was dead and was horrified to find out he was very much still alive. I was thinking I should euthanize him.

Today I come in to find him swimming normally around the tank with normal breathing. The one eye still has the big white bubble. So I am confused as to whether or not I should euthanize him. As for medicine should I do another round of the antibiotics combo? I’m also thinking I need an anti fungal.Is it too much to do another round of abx with anti fungal included. I bought marineland all in one cure but I don’t know if that will work. The rep for Marineland said not to mix that with anything. I don’t know if it’s strong enough for a major illness. I’m trying to do a strong broad spectrum treatment without ruining my remaining fish’s organs.

I would give the fish a break. As you noted this type treatment is also hard on them.

Keeping as perfect water parameters for them as possible would be ideal.

What are your normal tap to tank water parameters?

Do not add any new fish. QT in the future.

The cloudy eye may clear. Fish can live a full long life with one eye.

Just verifying that you do not rinse filter media in untreated tap water during maintenance.

You may opt to try adding some Epsom Salt / magnesium sulfate - no essential oils or anything, just pure Epsom salts to the tank. It has some healing ability. I can give more detail if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom