Comet goldfish losing colour!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieFriends

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We've got a comet goldfish who's been around for a couple months now; he used to be a beautful golden orange colour but he's progressively been getting paler... now he's sort of a pale peach colour. Any suggestions, or theories?

(His name is Eyebrow, he lives by himself...)

What size tank, and what are your water parameters? Also, what do you feed him?

I've been using a food called Color Granules (or something like that) made by Tetra. Used it for about a year now, I swear it keeps my fish in their best colors. I also like to feed them on a rotation basis, keep like 4-5 differrent types of food around: flake, color food, freeze-dried krill, freeze-dried tubifex. Feed them something different each day. I think giving them a mixed diet keeps them well supplied with all the nutrients they need to be healthy and keep their best colors.

How much sunlight does your fish get?

From www.goldfishinfo.com:
"Color Changes- If the goldfish was once black and has turned orange or was once orange and is turning white it could be that the fish has been kept indoors and without full sunlight. (which would be the case if you had a tank in the house). The fish is suffering from pigment loss in the skin. Red Capped Orandas are famous for losing the red cap. Orange comets are famous for turning white. The key is as follows:

Water quality is great
Discolored areas are not raised compared to the other skin
Discolored areas are not depressed under the rest of the skin
Fish is acting good, eating normally, and fins are erect and white ( no hemorrhaging) "

Back
Top Bottom