Congo Tetra Sick, Fat, or Gravid/Preggers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some background....

60 gal
10 Congo tetras, 4 kribs,1 A. Thomasi, 1 African butterfly fish, 1 African brown knife, 5 another smaller S. American tetra forget the name, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 Colombian pleco, ~ 5 assassin snails, 2 upside down cats

6.8 pH
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
0 nitrates
Heavily planted
Fertilized 2 x weekly (flourish and nitrate sup)
50 % weekly water change adding prime and Vita chem

I bought a Molly at one if those unspeakable chain pet stores as a mate for one of my males that had come of age. This is in a 29 gal containing livebearers, fancy guppies, swords and (at that time) mollys. Of course I did not quarantine her, big mistake! I only have one quarantine tank and my krib had just laid so I wanted to keep it open for her and the fry. So of course the Molly has ich. I end up putting all my Mollys 4 at the time in the quarantine tank last Sunday 11/25. They are recovering. I turned up the heat and added salt to the 29. So far seems like everyone is fine. But on 11/25 I notice that my african brown knife has 3 white spots on its head and is flashing! Upon further inspection of the fish I observe others with symptoms so I decide to treat the whole tank. Of course I have to go out of town 11/26 so my hubby has to continue the treatment while I am out of town. The tank has been dosed each evening with 3.5 tsp of Rid ich. The ich seems to have been eradicated. However the 25% daily water change was not done because I was out of town.

So when I get back happy the ich seems to be resolved the fry seem healthy (although they are going to be lunch since the quarantine is occupied). I notice that one of the tetras appears bloated.

image-3883599580.jpg

image-3045948133.jpg

The tetras are only beginning to reach adulthood so I think it is very unlikely that she is full of eggs (plus I think it is a male). So what to do next? Remove the tetra and treat for dropsy, intestinal/internal parasites? Opinions please.

How long has your tank been up and running? I would just remove the fish and treat it.

This tank has been in with its current inhabitants since July if I am remembering correctly. What should I treat it for dropsy, internal parasites? And with what? It is not pineconed. Thanks for your advice.

byork said:
This tank has been in with its current inhabitants since July if I am remembering correctly. What should I treat it for dropsy, internal parasites? And with what? It is not pineconed. Thanks for your advice.

I'm not an expert on medications. I'd wait for someone to come by and answer that one.

Back
Top Bottom