Constantly panting Neon Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moncakat

Aquarium Advice Regular
My large neon tetra has been constantly "out of breath". At first I thought it was because he had been playing with the other two but, he hasn't stopped in well over a week, and he's panting even as he sleeps(or rests, or whatever it's called). I have 3 guppies, a clown pleco, a gravid blushing whiteskirt tetra, and 3 neon tetras (including itself), all of which are healthy, except for the neon in question. The water is very well oxygenated and I haven't noticed this in any of my fish except for a guppy I had months ago who died from unknown causes. My question is: does my neon have a disease? Could it be the dreaded parasite that feasts on fishes' gills... If it were, wouldn't it have already spread? Please help! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392618938.433605.jpg

The largeness you describe could be bloating.

How is your tetra's color? Is there a pale patch, with loss of color, below the dorsal fin?

When I said large, I meant that he is generally large in size rather that fat or bloated :p he is probably slightly under 2" long but he doesn't seem to be bloated and I have not noticed any discoloration.

How does it behave? Is it very active? Or is it more lethargic than the other two healthy looking tetras? Do you notice any behavior, other than labored breathing, that is different compared to the other two?

It is quite active... By that I mean it does not tend to hide or shy away, and it does tend to swim around the tank somewhat often. Although, I have noticed that it sometimes chases the other tetras off when they approach and he has more trouble staying still than the others do. Not only does he take breaths very significantly more often than the others, but his mouth gapes wide open when he does, causing his Gills to open fairly wide. He opens his mouth about 5 times per second while the others open their mouths about once per second or two.

All I can think to check;

Is it still schooling and eating well?

Any flashing?

What are your water specs, particularly nitrite?

Labored breathing is the only symptom that you are observing.

There are a few causes for labored breathing:

1) Hypoxia- Low oxygen level in the tank. You claim adequate oxygen supply and do not observe similar symptoms in other fish. It is probably not hypoxia.

2) Gill Flukes- A parasite taking host in the fish's gills. If you fish has gill flukes, it is very likely that it would also rub up against decorations inside the aquarium to scratch the itch. Absent of this symptom I can not conclude that it has gill flukes.

3) Columnaris- A bacterial infection of the mouth and gills. If your fish has columnaris, it is very likely that you would observe a cotton-like growth in and around the fish's mouth and gills as well as disintegration at the tips of the fins. Absent of this symptom, I can not conclude that it has columnaris.

4) Neon Tetra Disease- A bacterial infection of the muscle tissue of neon tetras and similar species. Protozoa reproduce inside the muscle tissue of the fish creating cysts, leading to bloating, loss of color, and secondary infections. A secondary infection may cause labored breathing.

5) Other less common bacterial infections. I would need more identified symptoms to discuss these.

I suggest quarantining the fish immediately. Please post additional symptoms as they appear.

During feeding time, he eats like no tomorrow. The only discoloration I can detect is that at the center of his tail there seems to be a thin pale stripe (it's only noticeable when looking for it). His pectoral fins are nearly constantly flailing, while the others only "twitch" every once on a little while to keep themselves in place. His gills seem swollen. I've noticed that another neon is taking more frequent breaths than the other healthy one, and his mouth is opening a bit wider but his breathing is still VERY MUCH more under control than the one that this post is about. My neons tend to keep to themselves but he does not shy away from them.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392681431.611715.jpg

Forgot to ask - have you treated with any medicines lately or introduced anything to the tank?

It would be good to check all water specs and knock this off.

Well, I did clean the entire tank a few weeks back, I did not replace all of the water though. Maybe when I was putting him back in the tank, something happened?

It was probably a 60-70% water change and I cleaned the glass and decor

I would say it couldn't hurt right now to do a water change. Maybe when you cleaned the decor it was just enough to cause a mini-cycle?? Not very likely, but possible. What do your water parameters test? ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte? (take a sample to the lfs if you don't have a test kit)

I do not have a water testing kit. My LFS sells them for quite a bit of money. When my father was at the store with me to get something to fix the ph etc. I told him we needed test strips but he insisted we just need the correct ph fizz tablets, and said that "The fish would be fine. They won't die or anything."

I am aware that they do NEED the correct ph, nitrate, ammonia levels etc. but he was the one paying and he said not to spend money on the test strips, so that was the end of that.

With that pale spot, I'm thinking maybe Neon Tetra disease, but I am far from being knowledgeable on it. I would quarantine that fish and that other one you say has asthma and then observe them farther. Keep an eye on everybody though.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Well I think as mentioned QT if possible otherwise up the water changes (which should be 25 to 50% per week IMO normally). Water changes could solve on its own if some sort of mild gill disease. A salt bath I would look at next if no improvement in a week. I'm not keen on suggesting meds without a better idea of cause unfortunately and he seems generally ok. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

I'd also see if the lfs will do water tests and see if you can get a report on your tap water used for water changes. The council may put one out. Ammonia and ph would be top of the list to check, then nitrite and nitrate. I generally check my tap water (let stand for 24hrs) once in winter and summer and then you have a good base line. If the lfs won't check it, there may be someone in your area.

The strips are deceptive, a liquid based test is more accurate and lasts longer. One for the Xmas wish list perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom