Constipated gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
My honey gourami is a little under the weather lately. His belly is quite swollen, but the scales aren't sticking out or anything. I gave him peas and he ate them but it didn't do anything. He's been fasting for almost a week now. I'm thinking it's probably time for salt bath. I have some Epsom salts ready, I just want to know how to do it right? Some sites say to keep them there for a couple days, or 15-20 mins. I just want to be sure. Thanks!

If the fish is eating soak the food in a 3% Epsom salt solution using distilled water and feed, this will lead directly into the digestive track. I'd do this once a day for five days, this is dramatically more effective than a bath.

Last edited:
Agreed with hukit. Also, if he doesn't eat them, remove and try again later. If this continues for over a day, gives us a notice.

You can try bathes if he is not eating but it sounds like there may be more serious issues than constipation. Predissolve 1tsp epsom per gallon of temperature matched, properly conditioned water. Add the fish and observe him for 15-20minutes. Then place him back in the tank. You can do this 1-2x a day.

Theres no change, and he won't touch any food. If he doesn't die of whatever will he starve?

Theres no change, and he won't touch any food. If he doesn't die of whatever will he starve?

Yes the fish will wither and die, I'm sorry to say.

Did you try the Epsom salt baths? If yes then the only other suggestion to try is a couple of rounds of parasite medication. Petsmart carries General Cure by API and Parasite Guard by Tetra, follow directions and perform 2-3 treatments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom