Convict with either a parasite or unidentifiable fungus/bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted about this problem several weeks ago (original post here) but never got any useful responses, and unfortunately she's looking worse. In short, several weeks ago I came home from being out of town for a week and noticed that my female convict had some white tissue sticking out from her side, just before the caudal fin. At first I thought it was bone but the color of it changes depending on her state - calm, it's white but when agitated it looks pinkish (in these pictures I'd just changed her water).

After a number of attempts I was able to catch her and put her in filtered QT with good aeration. For the first 8 days I treated her with Parasite Guard and aquarium salt, changing water every other day. When that didn't seem to make a difference, I did a large water change and switched to Kanaplex thinking that maybe it was bacterial or fungal. Today, after 4 days of this treatment, I noticed that she's starting to look worse and that there's another bit of tissue emerging near the original problem spot as well as growing white spot on the same area of her tail on the other side. I decided to start treating with Parasite Guard again.

She's the biggest fish in my main tank (Bolivian rams, BN pleco, black skirt tetras, tiger barbs, cory cats & angelfish) so I doubt this is from her being picked on. Water parameters are good in both tanks, ammonia & nitrite = 0, nitrate > 20, and water temps around 76-77.

Any ideas of what may be wrong with her or of something else I can do to help her?

Lymphocystis, keep the water clean, feed a high quality pellet, and reduce stress and he will heal just as quick and it appeared. It's a viral infection like our common cold so you stop tossing in all those meds as that's only a waste of money and more stress on the fish.

Lymphocystis, keep the water clean, feed a high quality pellet, and reduce stress and he will heal just as quick and it appeared. It's a viral infection like our common cold so you stop tossing in all those meds as that's only a waste of money and more stress on the fish.

I looked it up and the description is exactly what I've seen with her, even down to it starting out as white, ich-like spots. Also the texture of the tissue that's sticking out looks very similar to what this fish has, though thankfully isn't as severe.

I've been alternating giving her Hikari Carnivore Pellets and New Life Spectrum Large Fish Pellets. Are these good enough or is there something else I should give her? Regarding the stress, she's alone in QT and spending most of her time moving gravel around. Other than moving some dither-ers in there with her to help her feel more secure (which I know would be a bad idea for them), is there anything I can do to reduce stress? She has several hiding places in there but seldom comes out when the lights are on.

:thanks: so much HUKIT for your help!!!

I feed NLS exclusively with the exception of Spirulina 20 flakes, just keep feeding the New Life and keep the nitrates below 10ppm and in a few weeks it should pass completely.

Back
Top Bottom