Cory acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdKoi

Aquarium Advice Freak
So this is in my 75g with the rts, barbs and a couple bristlenose babies

For the first few weeks the Cory seemed to carry out what I’d think is normal behaviour. Puttering around at the bottom of the tank rooting around for food

The last week or so they’ve been spending a lot of their time up in the top corners of the tank literally sitting on the brackets for the filter inlet/discharge.

I’m not sure what to think, at first it thought they were dead and just got stuck up there but as soon as I touched the bracket they swam away. I’m wondering if maybe the rts isn’t harassing them?

The rts has been pretty well behaved so far, especially with so many bottom dwellers. I’ve never seen him harass any of the fish yet and rarely, though he will put the run on the barbs from time to time if they crowd him (I wouldn’t call it harassing as he only chases them for a very short distance till they are out of ‘his’ area). I’ve also never once seen him get aggressive with the bristlenose, they don’t bother each other at all.

I’m not sure what to think? We’re/Are they getting harassed or is this some type of medical issue?

They seem to be feeding ok still. No obvious signs of weight loss

Just seems odd all of a sudden they started this behaviour. Everyone else in the tank is doing great, that’s why I’m thinking maybe they were getting bullied?

Hard to see in the pic, but at first glance you’d think they were dead and got caught on the bracket. They just lay there usually with half their body hanging off the side lol

Attachments

• FFD3779D-5F83-43A1-961B-D6F5889A31AA.jpg
    FFD3779D-5F83-43A1-961B-D6F5889A31AA.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 19
if all other behaviors ( eating ect.) are normal..
they may just like to relax there.
I have panda Cory cats. and have found them 'resting' on my sponge filter quite often!!
might just be where they like to rest.
but would definitely keep an eye out for bullying!
even after lights out!
best of luck!

Yea been trying to keep an eye on the rts. Obviously they’re known to be a-holes lol

So far the rts has been good especially with the other bottom dwellers. So I don’t see him harassing the Cory but you never know. Seems like if he’s going to chase anyone out of his area it’s more of a game of cat and mouse. Basically only the barbs will flinch or take off if he approaches, then the rts will take pursuit for a short distance. Any of the others that just carry on with their business when he approaches, he doesn’t even care about.

The tank is visible from the ol recliner and once it’s lights out (I have the light set to 5% blue in the later evening, just enough to still see in the tank when the room is dark) I haven’t noticed any aggressive behaviour out of the rts yet. Seems like if the rts is going to be active, it’s usually when the tank is at its brightest

Back
Top Bottom