Cory - better off alone or in hospital tank with mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucy_S

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TLDR; Should I rehome my healthy Cory to the hospital tank with 2 new cory's + 1 sick one to have her be with mates - or should I keep her in the community tank where she's alone?

:thanks:

Long version;

Today I came home from the lfs with two brand new tiny Corydoras aeneus to compliment the two I've gotten with my second hand tank (building stock slowly, redid the whole tank when I got it). I put them in the quarantine/shrimp tank (6,5 gallon) for quarantine.

Then.. In the big tank (17.6 gallon) I find my one of my cory's upside down next to the filter. She laid (a LOT) of eggs two days ago - and now she looks as good as dead. She's still breathing but not moving, and topples over a lot (with a very red "egg hole" under her belly). Moved her to the quarantine tank too, added some sera omnipur (general meds from EU, what I had available) and I guess I'm hoping to see if she improves or not. So far I'm not very hopeful for her.

The remaining Cory is now alone in the big tank though. I know they're social creatures, so would you advice me to put her with the new stock + meds, or is she better off alone for the next week or so?

Thanks for reading!

if the egg-laying female cory isn't sick with anything I'd probably put them in a tank together that is away from the ones in quarantine

or at least not sick with any thing transmitable

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom