Cory cat gasping at the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this little guy for about 3.5 years and lately noticed that he spends hours at a time, gasping at the surface. He began doing this in spurts several months ago but for the last several days, he's kept himself wedged up against the filter intake. I've found other forum posts where people mention noticing similar problems but many of these were attributed to having aquarium salt in the water (I don't use it) or poor water quality (ammonia & nitrite = 0, nitrate = 15ppm). Tonight he's barely moved and this was the first time he's shown no interest in eating. Can anyone recommend something I can do which might help him?

I've had this little guy for about 3.5 years and lately noticed that he spends hours at a time, gasping at the surface. He began doing this in spurts several months ago but for the last several days, he's kept himself wedged up against the filter intake. I've found other forum posts where people mention noticing similar problems but many of these were attributed to having aquarium salt in the water (I don't use it) or poor water quality (ammonia & nitrite = 0, nitrate = 15ppm). Tonight he's barely moved and this was the first time he's shown no interest in eating. Can anyone recommend something I can do which might help him?

He is not well and at this stage, he will probably not recover. If there are not other signs of illness, he could have some kind of internal infection. My only advice is to up the water change frequency and hope he recovers.

He was quite a bit worse when I got home this afternoon - constantly gasping, wedging himself into plants, still not eating, little control over his swimming, and one of his eyes was badly punctured (I'm guessing he ran into something?). I euthanized him not long afterwards. Thank you guys for trying.

RIP Larry, your bothers Darryl & Darryl will miss you

He was quite a bit worse when I got home this afternoon - constantly gasping, wedging himself into plants, still not eating, little control over his swimming, and one of his eyes was badly punctured (I'm guessing he ran into something?). I euthanized him not long afterwards. Thank you guys for trying.

RIP Larry, your bothers Darryl & Darryl will miss you

So sorry :cry:

Back
Top Bottom