Cory Cats disappearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought 6 Cory cats about a year ago and I lost 5 like they just disappear and I looked all around my tank because I thought they might have jumped out even though I have a lid but I couldn't find them! And about two months ago I bought 4 more and now I only have 3 and the other two are not in the tank and I can't find any bodies outside the tank. Does anyone else have this problem??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have 6 angels and 2 gouramis

I've had fish just "disappear" with no other signs of escape. My assumptions was that it died and slowly decayed or was eaten by the other fish/snails in the tank without us seeing. All other fish have seemed well when it happened. But when a fish is sick it will tend to hide away so sometimes deaths will go unnoticed if you aren't actively searching for them. I'd watch the current fish for signs of Illness like if they tend to hide away and/or not eat. And keep an eye on any little spots they can hide in and see if that's what's happening.

My 10 yr old angel pair i raised as a teenager (been gone now for many years) lived in an empty 10g their whole lives. One morning the male was missing. Not some little fish...he was huge! Just vanished. No sign of him in the tank, no decaying carcass or anything. No sign of him outside the tank either. Just gone... Nothing else in the tank but his mate. I had seen him the night before and both fish were acting normal. His mate seemed depressed afterwards, stopped eating and eventually died.

I bought a peppered Cory a few weeks ago. He seemed to have disappeared and I was baffled. A couple of days later he was suddenly back. I've named him Houdini!
I did search the tank and looked into all the decor items. I have no explanation - maybe he really is magical.
Sorry for your problem. The best answer is they may have died and decayed before you noticed or if they died, other fish have eaten the evidence.

Back
Top Bottom