Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unhappy Cory Dying

I was doing a fish in cycle with 4 bandit/melini Cory catfish in a 10 gallon. I know not a good idea to do a fish-in cycle but i'm a beginner. 3 of them died during the cycle but 1 survived when it was all over. It was doing great for the next 2 weeks after the cycle, it just looked bored so I got him 3 friends of the same kind. Plus 4 ghost shrimp and 2 moss balls. The first day was great, he was finally acting like a Cory again. This morning though he was laying on his side not moving and when I tried to pick him up with the net (thinking he was dead) he started to swim uncontrollably, left, right, circles, upside down, and sideways. This isn't a first for me because that is what happened to the last 3. My question is why is he acting like this, why is he going to die after he was fine the day before. The water parameters are good. Was adding 3 fish and 4 ghost shrimp to much stress for him or what? Also I thought that maybe the nitrogen cycle put him under so much stress that his immune system was weak and when the new fish came in it gave him something but that does not sound right since the last 3 fish had the same thing.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Usually, people cycle their tanks with fish like minnows, so that fish that you want to keep like this Cory don't die.
You also have the option of a fishless cycle so no fish will be harmed in the cycling process. You should monitor the tank with a testing kit so that you know when you can add fish.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Weakened immune system is entirely possible. Cycling can out a great deal of stress on fish. If you didn't quarantine new arrivals they could have spread something and his body couldn't handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

That probably sounds right. Thank you that clears it up.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep, no problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
cory, dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com