Cory help needed asap please!!!! SOS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cluckyholiday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so I glance over at my tank and see one of my shrimp (ghost) scurrying away with one of my panda Cory's in its claws. I quickly assume the panda must have passed but get my net to get its body. However panda is alive!
The shrimp has had a very very good go at its top fin (please see pics)
I've put him in quarantine alone but he is very still, almost panting it looks like.

So my question is.....what do I do? Could it be he was poorly anyway and weak hence why he was an easy target?
20161005_205749.jpg Please help me. They're my fave.

It sounds like you might have whisker shrimp, can you take a pic of the shrimp? If that is what you have you need to take them out

Oh man I have two of these guys. My LFS were just selling them as shrimp and I just assumed ghost or amano.
Any suggestions on helping my cory? Hoping he isn't a goner....

Oh man I have two of these guys. My LFS were just selling them as shrimp and I just assumed ghost or amano.
Any suggestions on helping my cory? Hoping he isn't a goner....
He should be ok unless he had an illness prior to the attack. If he has more problems/symptoms post them and I could try to help or someone else can. I hope he gets better for you

Look closely at the first 2-3 sets of front legs. See if there are distinguishingly visable pinchers/claws on them.

The bigger the claws the more trouble you might have with them catching fish.

Ghost shrimp will frequently become aggressive with other small aquatic creatures and bottom dwellers.

The angle of the top of the abdomen is an easy way to see if they are Ghost shrimp.
Tropical Inverts for Freshwater Aquariums: Ghost (Glass) Shrimp - Freshwater

Your pic seems not as much like a Ghost shrimp, not as angular.

Grass shrimp are any number of varieties of shrimp that live in lagoons and intertidal areas by the ocean inlets from tropical areas of countries all over the world. Some carry babies to live birth and can live in regular fish tanks and some don't and need brakish water for larval development.

I was told in general to check how angular the abdomen is, the more angular the more chance it needs brakish water for larval /baby development. I do not know this for sure.

It is very likely that the shrimp was hungry and trying to get a good meal from a fish in less than ideal health.

What are your water parameters before a water change?

Keep observing the fish to see if any others seem to have any issues with fins, clamped, fuzzies, gray spots, etc.

And know that one of the best things you can do for a tank in questionable health AND for healing is clean new, fresh pwc (always with water treatment for dechlorination and heavy metals, etc).

When was the last time you did a pwc
and how much did you do?
How big is your tank
and how many fish are in there,
and what is your filtration
and how long has it been set up?

Thanks! OK so I so PWC Thursdays at 20%
My tank is 120L
Consisting of 3 x shrimp
1 x baby lemon BN plec
5 (now 4) panda cory
3 x WCM minnows
And 6 x platy fish (4 x girl, 2 x male)
My filtration is more than adequate as I use 2 x filters (one each end) can't remember how big but I know for sure more powerful than the tank would require
The tank has been set up months
:)

Back
Top Bottom