Cory missing barbel(sp)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
turn the lights off and/or put a cover on the tank to make it dark. Also move the decorations around. This can help with adding new fish in with territorial fish.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't get to your post earlier, Dottie. I'm so sorry about all the trouble you've had. There are two issues here, it seems. 1: the parameters of your water. 2: betta tankmates. As for issue 1, I think moving the corries was a fine choice as far as water quality goes. Issue 2, your betta, like most male bettas, seems to be quite territorial and may not do well with tankmates period.

I would keep a close eye on them all. Your betta may start ignoring the after the initial "hey this is my tank" period. Or he may not leave them alone. In that case, you'll have to remove either the corries or the betta.

Well....after worrying for a bit I finally had to leave the tank to go prepare and eat dinner. When I came back, it was like everyone was getting along. Could it be my territorial little guy (bert the betta) was putting on a show for me? I know that is silly, but it was like he was trying to show me he could "handle these new guys". I left to prepare/eat dinner and came back and everyone was swimming around happily together. I don't get it.....I will see him slightly chase one every once in a while now, but for the most part he is ignoring them. What's up with that? Oh...and when I added the cories I did immediately turn off the light thinking that would help them hide better. I just fed them all and they are still all doing great! Phew....I will keep my fingers crossed that during the dark of night my little sweet bert doesn't grow horns again! Now...what do I do with this little 2.5g tank that was going to be my QT tank? Do I run it through a fishless cycle like I did my 10g? If I do that it won't be useful to me in case one of these guys gets sick or anything, huh? Thanks for all of the help today, btw...it is much appreciated! I was freaking out over finally making the decision to move them and then bert flipped out....

Well I'm sure glad things are going better, what a relief you must feel. Fingers crossed that you have no future issues. We're going to need new pics now :)

As far as the 2.5 tank you could add ammonia to it like a fishless cycle, then if you ever have the need to use it you could do a 100% water change(or 90%) and then it should be safe for a fish or whatever(if it doesnt cycle by then).

Last edited:
I will try and post some pics in the next few days. I want to give them tonight with no more disturbances to get used to each other and the tank. Just keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well during the night.

Dottie, he was either putting on a show for you or for the corries, or both! He's probably trying to send the message that he is the boss of the tank and that the new guys better tow the line! Glad things are going well now :)

Well, much to my relief, I checked on everyone first thing this morning and all is well. Everyone made it through the night just fine. They are all so funny to watch. The cories are the cutest things, I just love them. Bert will even swim with them and will go down to where they are foraging and forage with them. It is just so funny to see these fish personalities. Now, he will still chase them if they come to close to him if he is up at the top alone, but he will join them if he feels like it. (kind of like a cat's personality) lol!!
I checked my parameters in the 10g also first thing this morning and they were: ammonia 0 and nitrites between 0-.25. So, for my 10g when will I probably need to do another PWC? Also, when I add shrimp, will they affect my parameters, or not so much? Geez, there is so much to learn!

Well, much to my relief, I checked on everyone first thing this morning and all is well. Everyone made it through the night just fine. They are all so funny to watch. The cories are the cutest things, I just love them. Bert will even swim with them and will go down to where they are foraging and forage with them. It is just so funny to see these fish personalities. Now, he will still chase them if they come to close to him if he is up at the top alone, but he will join them if he feels like it. (kind of like a cat's personality) lol!!
I checked my parameters in the 10g also first thing this morning and they were: ammonia 0 and nitrites between 0-.25. So, for my 10g when will I probably need to do another PWC? Also, when I add shrimp, will they affect my parameters, or not so much? Geez, there is so much to learn!

Glad to hear they are getting along now:) As far as pwcs for the 10gallon, I would check the nitrAtes every day. Do 25-50% pwcs to keep the nitrAte level below 10 ppm. You'll soon see a pattern develop as to how fast your nitrAtes build up and how often you'll have to do a pwc. I don't think adding shrimp will affect your parameters.

Glad to hear they are getting along now:) As far as pwcs for the 10gallon, I would check the nitrAtes every day. Do 25-50% pwcs to keep the nitrAte level below 10 ppm. You'll soon see a pattern develop as to how fast your nitrAtes build up and how often you'll have to do a pwc. I don't think adding shrimp will affect your parameters.
So, I don't need to be testing nitrites and ammonia anymore, just nitrates? Or do all of them need to be tested??

With a nitrite level of 0 - .25, you should still do a PWC to get the level as close to 0 as possible. I would do a water change once a day while the nitrites are in this range. Keep checking the ammonia levels too, but it's good that the ammonia is 0.You only added the cories yesterday, right, so keep checking ammonia to make sure you don't have a small spike. I remember that it took less time for my nitrite levels to reach 0 than my ammonia levels, so hopefully your cycle is progressing right along.

When you have some nitrites in the tank, it's possible that the nitrate reading is false, so while you should keep checking nitrates, don't rely on it as a true reading until the nitrites are 0. After the nitrites are 0, then the nitrate reading of between 5 - 10, or higher, would be a good indication that your cycle is completed. I would probably like to see a reading of 20 ppm nitrates to be sure that the cycle is complete.

Back
Top Bottom