cory missing fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dricicle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have an albino cory with a missing fin. She (I think she's female anyway, always a crapshoot when they're small) is about three or four months old I think. Had them both since Nov.11 2020.

Tank was set up October 2020, so it's four/five months old thereabouts. 10 gallon tank w/ aquatech 10-20 gal filter, tetra 2-10 gal heater. Two albino corys (her and a male, same age, a little smaller. Picked them up together).

Parameters:

76 degree F (usually between 76-78; it's cold outside now)
10/20 nitrate
0 nitrite
250/300 hardness
0 chlorine
100 alkalinity
7.2 ph
0 ammonia

(done by test strip except for ammonia which was w/ the water kit, so it isn't super precise)

Gravel vac was about two weeks ago, water change was maybe a week. Nothing new added to tank. Fed with a mixture of hikari sinking carnivore tablets, tetra tropical flakes, and rarely tetra dried bloodworms (which I don't think they like).

Photos attached below of injured (1st image) vs. uninjured side (2nd image)

122260-albums14835-picture72795.jpg

122260-albums14835-picture72794.jpg

Should I be concerned / should I do anything about it? I hadn't noticed until today but looking back in old photos, the first time I can see her without the fin is Jan. 19 2021. So far she's been swimming okay, but I had noticed one of my fish (hard to tell apart, considering they don't have markings) was swimming a little curved (like kept their tail to one side) maybe was when she lost it?

:fish2: Thanks in advance for any help!

Hey! Sorry to hear about your fish injury. You mentioned that she was swimming ok? No one taking food, stressing her, or chasing her? If all those thing are good and shes not overly stressed, there is not much else I can think of doing.

Additionally, I would look into fin repairs like API Fin & Body cure. Its supposed to help with open sores, and potential fin rot if she is recovering from an injury. You could add to your tank directly, but if possible, I recommend a QT tank.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom