Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Corycat Sickness?

Earlier my Albino Corycat (C. Paleatus) passed. It’s been really hard and I’ve heard too many possibilities of what it could be but I need to buy things to be prepared just in case he passed whatever he has onto my other fish. I’m pretty sure fin rot, but I don’t know why his tail turned horribly red overnight. Yes, overnight! The first picture is from Monday, and I thought maybe it was a organ I didn’t know about cause it looked like it was inside of him. He was fine until Monday when he didn’t swim or eat. Parameters are “ideal”, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and a little less than 5ppm Nitrate. Temperature is at 77° F. He lived in a 30 gallon tank with 2 other Albino Corycdoras, a Betta (who is extremely docile and I’m absolutely sure has nothing to do with this), 4 Sunkist Shrimp, 2 Nerite Snails, and 1 Mystery Snail. I purchased him a few weeks ago and he has been doing fine except I did buy him with his fin missing. I did my last water change on Sunday, and I do about 30% every Sunday unless I see some reason I need to again. All of the other fish are perfectly fine. As seen in the pictures posted his flesh where his body and tail meet is completely bright red and so is the lining of his tail fin. As well as redness, some of his tail fin and dorsal fin is gone. I added the shrimp, one new corydoras, the mystery snail, and green cabomba on Sunday, but I don’t think this is the reason for his sickness. I got them from a very trusted store and no other fish are affected. Hopefully someone here can help me cause this is really my last resort :/ thank you to anyone in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1D95EB3C-16C1-4E58-811A-5DE4BA0CDFD4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	322358   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	322359  

Old 12-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

More details please. Not much to go on there.

What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Old 12-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum View Post
More details please. Not much to go on there.

What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Posted more info. Also, can you not see the photos? I can see them on my device but want to make sure others can too, I feel they are crucial to determining what happened to him.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Maybe Hemorrhagic Septicemia. Sounds like you have contacted some other sources. What have they said?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Someone said an abrasion and then another said anchor worms, but I’m not sure what anchor worms are. I was just told to do research and it pretty much got me nowhere.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

What do you think? This is hemorrhagic septicemia.

I think the fin loss is probably post mortum.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I know albinos should have the same genes as far as health as Green corys, but tha5 hasn’t been the case for me. My only loss in a year are two albino corys, and the greens are thriving. I can’t be convinced they’re just as healthy.

Tags
cory, ick, sick, sickness

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com