Corydoras Catfish Stabbed Next to Anus PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCB0612

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My COry got stabbed by a feeder block while i was on vacation right nest to his anus. It is a big wound, about the size of his eye (2mm), he is 1 inch long. I think it impaired his pooping ability because now he is swollen. It bled a lot and he is laying on his side. He is in a 1.5 gal. hospital tank with minimal amounts of API salt and Maracyn.

PLEASE REPLY

:thanks:

Increase salt

Sent from my fish tank

What?!?

THANK YOU SO MUCH:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

:fish2::fish2:

what?!?!,!,

My COry got stabbed by a feeder block while i was on vacation right nest to his anus. It is a big wound, about the size of his eye (2mm), he is 1 inch long. I think it impaired his pooping ability because now he is swollen. It bled a lot and he is laying on his side. He is in a 1.5 gal. hospital tank with minimal amounts of API salt and Maracyn.

PLEASE REPLY

:thanks:

Huh?!?!?!? Corys hate salt, 50 shades of feeder blocks?? Just keep the water wayyyy clean and pay a little more attention to the going on's of your tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How sharp are your feeder blocks?

Yeah you shouldn't have added salt, if he's still alive get him in clean fresh water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was on vacation, so i didn't know, and I have been using feeder blocks for 9 years with no issues. I will take out salt though.

It's just weird that's what stabbed it. The ones I've seen are always fish shaped or little rounded pyramids and basically turn into goo when in the water, it's odd to think that could stab something. Are you sure it wasn't something else?

Dude all fish can do with aquarium salt, even rays that are known to hate salt can handle it and it will benefit.

Sent from my fish tank

Dude all fish can do with aquarium salt, even rays that are known to hate salt can handle it and it will benefit.

Sent from my fish tank

Ok

Just be careful because Cory cats are scaleless so don't add too much salt because salt can harm scaleless fish

Time spent with cats is never wasted

Corydoras can Not stand any salt! Do major water changes and check your store for any corydoras Meds.

Can you post a pic? Still a bit confused on how a feeder block could do this.

When you say swollen is that around the wound or the vent?

Maracyn is mainly for treating gram positive bacterial infections. These are rarer than gram negative bacterial infections. You would have better treatment odds with maracyn 2 or maracyn plus.

Yes you do have to be careful with scaleless, but it is still beneficial to have it

Sent from my fish tank

Sent from my fish tank

I remain a determined fence-sitter on long-term salt dosing (versus short-term medical) but this reads as a contradiction.

Could you post on what benefits you are seeing between non-salt and dosing salt (and what dosage)? Simply curious.

Mehh not sold on the salt thing.. seems to be a dispelled old.school tried and true..

I usually use around 1 tbspoon per 5 gal, the recommended amount.

Sent from my fish tank

Thanks for the reply. Weeelll, since I have a captive audience.

I can get my head around salt (any type) dosing into a tank to match their original environment better for a fish type. I know lots of fish are store bred (so to speak) these days but still think the original environment they came from is still in their genes somewhere.

My concern is somewhat like our exposure to sunlight as an analogy. Some is good for us, too much isn't helpful.

This would be my concern with a blanket salt dosing level. Thoughts?

In other news, I did finally get back to seeing if I could taste one teaspoon of salt in 5 galls of tap water. I was just wondering if salt at this level could be tasted (I know, I need a new hobby). Surprisingly couldn't taste it and definitely no where near the salt level (not sure type) we had in the farm bore over summer.

Theres some amount of idiots on this. Dont trust everyone's opinion. Cory cats dont take well to salt. So if someome says increase salt they haven't got a clue.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom