Corydoras keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm at a loss. I can't seem to keep these little guys to save my life.

Type: Melini Corydoras
Tank: They started dying in the my 10 gallon, I've been through a total of 6 started off with 3, then 2 died, got 3 more, 2 died in the 10 gallon tank, then I move the last 2 to the 36 gallon after it cycled. Now the last of the 3 I just got is starting to die....

(Same for both of my tanks)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20-30 (TOPS)
Ph: 7.2

Substrate: Sand
Good filtration
In the 10 gallon they were with 2 mollies/3 danios/2 snails
They eat fine, then just seem to give up on life... can't hold balance, get blown around by filtration flow.
I feed them shrimp pellets/algae wafers/along with cleaning up whatever left overs hit the bottom, I feed every 2 days.

I get all my fish from the same LFS. I haven't lost any other fish except cories... The crazy thing is, one of the original ones I got is still alive.. very healthy, very active, growing great.. I got him like 3 months ago, he's been through FAIL ammonia spikes and everything else and is still doing fine.. definately a trooper, I just want them all to be that way.

Any idea's? Should I try a different species? My tank isn't big enough for loaches so I can't take that route, but I definately want some type of bottom feeder.

Well since everything is perfect with ur tank's parameters then I have to say that some fish can't get use to their new Environment... Just like humans I do believe on that.. Why don't u try otos???

I have oto`s in my 36 gallon now, 2 of them. I love them, awesome fish. Its just something about cories that i love too. There look, how they dig into the sand for food, alot of times when friends see my tanks there like, "wow what are those little guys" and point at the cories. I like that about them.

Keeping Corydoras

Hello Mike...

A ten gallon tank is a challenge for even an experienced tank keeper to maintain. The main reason is, there's very little water to dilute a mistake in keeping the tank chemistry stable.

I've kept Corys for several years and some of mine are 5 years old. I can just tell you how I keep them. No tanks smaller than 30 gallons. At present, I have no tanks smaller than 45 gallons for my Corys. They're foragers and prefer larger swimming areas. I stock 1 Cory for every 5 gallons of tank volume. The bare minimum is 3, but 6 or more is better.

I keep them in low to moderate light tanks, with a lot of plants on the bottom and also floated. My tanks have Anubias nana and nangi, Cryptocoryne, Java fern and Singapore moss. Floating, I have Anacharis and Pennywort. The top and bottom of the tanks are very heavily planted. The fish feel secure with numerous hiding places. For substrate, I use standard polished, pea-sized gravel.

Corys prefer a neutral pH (7), but will adapt. My pH is roughly 7.4, but steady. That's important. These fish thrive in pure water conditions, so I change half the water in my tanks every week, no slacking.

I feed mostly frozen foods, like Brine and Mysis shrimp, beef heart, bloodworms, plankton and krill. These have no additives.

Just some suggestions.

B

Thanks for the suggestions.

The first 3 i could understand since my tank wasnt fully cycled, i thought it was but i had a hiccup which i believed led to the death of the first 2. Then when the tank was definately cycled and stable ifigured i could add 3 more (making 4 total) thought they would be fine, but iguess the tank was just to small for them.

Im guessing the one thats dying now is because of being in the 10 gallon, because theyve only been in the 36 gallon for a couple of days. So after this im gonna try to add a couple new one to that tank n see what happens.

I got 2 amazon swords, 1 red melon sword, water sprite, hygrophila, cabomba, java moss, and water wisteria. With sand substrate, aqueon 30 + aquaclear 50 filters. Pwc once a week. So im hoping that will be a better environment for them. The 10 gallon didnt have any plants and not alot of hiding areas. Hope it works out this time. If not im going to try another breed. If that fails, i give up on cories :-(

Back
Top Bottom