Cotton like growth on fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night we went to the carnival and came back with an unnexpected fish. I set up our small med tank as my daughters fish tank doesn't have room for another fish and I needed time to set up a new tank. This morning I noticed this cotton like growth on the mouth, side and top fin. Obviously carnivals don't take care of there fish at all. I'm going to the pet store today for meds but I would like to know what else I need to do. Here are some photos: first is the container the fish came in. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407686660.951209.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407686693.413060.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407686715.334217.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407686746.767829.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407686765.082779.jpg
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That looks like a fungus, go to your lfs and get some anti fungus tabs and maybe some aquarium salt. Do a heavy water change then after the water change add the fungus tabs and then a little bit of salt and hopefully that helps.

May the force be with you.

I would recommend daily salt dips also.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for all the advice. Sadly the fish didn't make it. So
Now our next adventure for fish will be the lfs do a new gold fish since we have the tank set up and cycling now. My next question might go off topic a little but I would like to know the best way to approach this scenario? Seeing as the fish was in such horrible condition when we got it even if I had a running tank for it, what would be the first step?

Well first off I wouldn't suggest a goldfish for that size of tank. Their bio-load is extreme. I might look into a Betta fish if I were you. Or a snail and shrimp tank. How many gallons is that tank?

Well first off I wouldn't suggest a goldfish for that size of tank. Their bio-load is extreme. I might look into a Betta fish if I were you. Or a snail and shrimp tank. How many gallons is that tank?

Yes I agree with that. Goldfish shouldn't be kept in a tank that size.

May the force be with you.

That tank is about 1gallon or so. Was only using it temporarily until I had a bigger tank up and ready( have a couple in the garage). The 1 gallon tank is my med tank. Was never intending to keep it in that tank.

How big are the tanks you do have?

May the force be with you

How big are the tanks you do have?

May the force be with you

Sorry for the late response. Life gets busy some times. The tanks I own are both 10 gallons but my buddy has a 20 that he is willing to let me have as a kind of trade. My full intentions (as my daughter new.) was to let the gold fish out grow our tanks and then give it to our day care. They have a pond and has a few gold fish and koi already. And this way my daughter would still get to see it and take care of it while it is some where it can happily live and be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom